News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ed's Afghan Abyss

Ed_Haynes

Extremely interesting collection Ed! Thanks for sharing!

And just think of it, an entirely new series of Afghan medals to choose from since the return to democratic rule! You must be giddy as a school girl just thinking about it huh? :jumping:

:rolleyes: -Awaiting thunder and lightning- :rolleyes:

• 5 years later...
    • Replies 81
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hello Ed,

regarding your post #7: I think it is the order of Fidelity (Nishan-i-Wafa)

regards / Jan van Eijden

Unfortunately, Ed has departed this forum. However, I have relayed your response to him. Let's see if he responds.

Best,

Hugh

As I mentioned, Ed has moved on, but he has authorized me to give you and update on his work. I'm sure some of you may be interested to see what he's up to. I've asked him to let us know when he has something available for readers. I've quoted from his messages below:

The current research on Afghan awards now stands at a working manuscript of 222 pages. If you're willing, I'd appreciate it if you could share that with the GMIC. Thanks again, Ed

It had been my intent to make all my stuff available on a "Creative Commons" basis through my SAGongs forum, but right now I am less certain. The problem is that the lack of sources make all the projects difficult, much more challenging than the India book was. But however rough the work is, it is better than anything else out there and I know too many people who waited to get their work "just right" but their own time ran out first.
    Overview: In an effort to combine my academic work with my hobby, I am working (slower than I would like) on a major study of the evolution of honors policy in South Asia from around 1780 through 1992. In the process of doing this, I discovered the almost total lack of basic information on the awards of India and of the other states of South Asia (defined, somewhat mechanically, as the SAARC member States). This led to the publication, with my co-author Rana Chhina, of Medals and Decorations of Independent India in 2008. We had originally intended that the book cover all of South Asia but for a number of reasons (length being just one of them), we sliced the project apart with the India volume (including Sikkim, 272 pages as published), and separate volumes (still emerging) on Pakistan (305 pages in the working manuscript), Afghanistan (222 pages), and a volume covering the remaining South Asian nations (Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Druk Yul, the Maldives, and Myanmar -- currently 414 pages). There is also an emerging South Asian Battles and Medals in two volumes (305 and 266 pages). I also have three volumes (soon to be sliced into four?) on the awards of the Arab States (463, 338, and 445 pages).