News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Info needed on Col Lefebure

Hi gents,

I need info and hopefully some pictures on a Col. Lefebure. Supposedly he was on Mountbattens staff in India.

Many thanks for any help you can send.

Cheers!

Gary

Two not too useful bits of "non-information". No one of that name appears in the 1924 Indian Army List or the 1939 Supplement to the IA List as having WWI service - not very surprising - nor in the 1939 as having graduated Staff College, so he may have been a wartime commmission or a British regular officer as opposed to Indian Army. Not much, sorry. :(

Peter

No one of that name appears...

It might be worth Gary double-checking the spelling, particularly if it's from a handwritten reference - could it be Lefebvre, which is a common surname in the Channel Islands? The Nat. Archives WW1 Medal Rolls have a card for G. P. Lefebvre, Temp Lt in the Nothumberland Fusiliers.

It might be worth Gary double-checking the spelling, particularly if it's from a handwritten reference - could it be Lefebvre, which is a common surname in the Channel Islands? The Nat. Archives WW1 Medal Rolls have a card for G. P. Lefebvre, Temp Lt in the Nothumberland Fusiliers.

There are a few Lefebure's - spelled that way - in British service: a Lt. Col. in the Second Grenadier Guards, WWI, a Gunnner killed in the Peninsula, etc. Initials or first name, any other circumstantial evidence - years served, Br. or Indian Army, etc. would all help. Plus checking the spelling too!

Peter

I agree with Peter. Most likely the spelling is somehow wrong. There is no one by the name of Lefebure on my 1941 IA list nor on my 1946 British Army List. A search in the London Gazette only turns up 6 hits on Lefebure with only 3 military related to a John Victor Lefebure in the RAF. It would seem unlikely to have a colonel who wasn't mentioned in the London Gazette during a period of 6 years.

Kind Regards

Steen Ammentorp

The Generals of World War II

I have not been able to resize the pictures down to fit but I posted them on the wehrmacht awards list here www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1663582&posted=1#post1663582. Hopefully this will help. The spelling appears correct though.

Many thanks for the info so far.

Gary

I have not been able to resize the pictures down to fit but I posted them on the wehrmacht awards list here www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1663582&posted=1#post1663582. Hopefully this will help. The spelling appears correct though.

Many thanks for the info so far.

Gary

Gary

Can't log onto the other site. Can you give us a thumbnail verbal sketch of the uniform in question?

Sure, it's a standard British officer's four button tunic with General Service buttons and the India theatreShield shaped patch with red on top, black on the bottom with an embroidered star in the middle) patches on both sleeves. Has Colonels rank and you can see his progression through the ranks. The tunic is manufactured by Simpsons Military Outfitters and the name on the inner pocket label is LEFEBURE, Order No. 5335-204 I believe(the lettering is faded pretty far) and the date appears to be 2/14/42. The collar insignia is a wreath with the Kings Crown at the top and the letters GRI I think, in the middle. The wreath itself is circular in shape. I have allways had trouble with that particular font. If you go to the wehrmacht awards forums and go to the British forum it is there under info need for colonels uniform.

Cheers

Gary

Gary

Can't log onto the other site. Can you give us a thumbnail verbal sketch of the uniform in question?

Edited by Gary Cain