Hello,

I think that is the write word for what I'm trying to figure out. I want to learn how to put the accents over certain letters in words. In others words I need an idiots guide to learning how to do this from start to finish.

I hope someone can help....

the computer idiot, :speechless:

barry

Barry,

There are a number of ways to do this, but a fairly simple method is as follows:

With the cursor in an application such as Word or a forum text field, press and hold the ALT key down and enter a number using the number key block on the right of your keyboard to obtain the following characters:

ALT + 0224 = ?

ALT + 0225 = ?

ALT + 0232 = ?

ALT + 0233 = ?

ALT + 0200 = ?

ALT + 0242 = ?

ALT + 0243 = ?

A complete list of possible characters can be found at http://www.starr.net/is/type/altnum.htm.

This method and others are explained in more detail at http://www.starr.net/is/type/kbh.html.

It is fairly straightforward and should work on any computer using a recent version of Windows.

David

Dave

Live and learn!

I was going to suggest setting the keyboard for "Canadian Multilingual" as an alternative. Then there is one command (Ctrl + ___?) to switch to a "french" keyboard, where the quotation mk keys and some others become accented vowels. Windows help would give Bear the details but your way may be easier for occasional use as opposed to long passages of French text.

I know this BTW, 'cause my old computer used to default to French by uitself and refuse to type English punctuation for me. Grrrh! :angry: I love technology!

I have the accents and symbols I commonly use set in a MS word document with I open in another window when I need it. I then copy and paste from that document to my postings here (and elsewhere). Font limitations of Windows restrict what I can do (no Hindi, no Urdu, no Arabic, no Pashto, no real Mongolian either in Cyrillic or bichig , etc.).

All this can be done in ?Word?.

Open ?Word? go to ?Insert?>>Symbol and set up your keyboard shortcuts from there.

Then when you want to insert an accent all you do is hit Alt and the letter that?s to be accented. When you?ve finished whatever you?re writing?copy and paste.

You?ll find that the insert facility will remember the most used letters and will store them in a separate box, then there?s no need for the Alt and letter, all you have to do is hit the letter required, hit insert and hey presto.