News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Please post your OPW 2nd classes

Hi all,

First off... don't be hesitant about posting that last one WC... I think it's neat! Interesting history and one of those "if only it could talk" pieces. Nothing in the world wrong with that. I enjoyed seeing it. :love::jumping: Thanks for sharing! :beer:

Secondly... they're breeding again. Here's my latest additions.

First one off Ebay... complete 85 2nd class set of original box, OGPW 2nd and award booklet all matching:

Sellers pic... will do better scans and pop on when I get a chance.

And this one, although not a matched set... another 85 2nd class where the number was scratched out... but they didn't do a good job and it's still completely visible. Got this from Paul Schmitt and the pic is his used with his permission. Thanks Paul! :beer:

I'll have to do up scans of this one, front and back and pop on along with the one above. The award booklet sadly does not match... it's for a different number but was included with this OGPW.

Dan :cheers:

• Replies 118
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Here's another orphan piece: Loose replacement ribbon and missing nut, too.

Chuck,

That is potentially a very scarce Moscow Mint production you have there. Could you please post some better quality scans of the order itself.

Marc

• 2 years later...

And this lil' fellow who's seen some action over the years. It's researched so here's the full thread on it:

http://gmic.co.uk/in...showtopic=46901

Here's the before shot:

post-873-030174800 1291810792_thumb.jpg

This is how the previous owner got it. Covered in glue, gawdawful deep red enamel paint or something... just YUCK!

Edited by Hauptman

He put some TLC into it and now the inner beauty begins to show itself more clearly...

post-873-074833000 1291810918_thumb.jpg

And finally the reverse. I concentrated so much on the obverse when I saw it that I didn't even realize that it's a starback... my first, one and only! jumping.gifjumping.gif

post-873-073684700 1291810925_thumb.jpg

I have a replacement H&S coming as well so once that's in place I'll add another shot showing it in all it's glory. biggrin.gif

And a note for all those out there who tend to lean towards the "leave it alone" school of thought... I feel that the last owners cleaning was carefully and lovingly done and did NOTHING to harm but only improve on the look of this order and he did not go overboard or make it look "brand new", etc. It still has the look of it's age but no longer looks like "something you'd pick up on your shoe in a gutter on a hot summer day" (if you know what war movie that quote is from... "you win a cookie" (can you guess which one that is from... you'll win two cookies!).laugh.gif

And as for me adding the H&S... it will be done so it can, if required, be removed down the road with no damage to the Order whatsoever. Nothing permanent! So hope this satisfies those who feel such things should be left alone. But for the history this represents and the hard times it's seen, much of it perhaps in battle, I think it's well worth bringing it back to some semblance of it's original appearance. The enamel will be left as is... that damage was earned honorably I'm sure and I have no intention of changing that.

Anyhow... just felt that needed to be said. Stay tuned for the finished pic. beer.gif

Dan cheers.gif

• 5 years later...

Here's a recent addition. It was awarded posthumously to infantry Captain Aleksei Dubrovin, days after he was killed in action east of Stalino, Ukraine, in September 1943.

dubrovin003.jpg

dubrovin004.jpg

On 11-7-2007 at 21:52, Gerd Becker said:

Be careful, when you stick them together in a box, they breed :speechless1:

That warning turned out to be quite warranted :D

Here's another one from my breeding ground, a beautiful Fisheye / Baby variation:

baby1.jpg

baby2.jpg

On 6.12.2007 at 13:58, Ed_Haynes said:

A somewhat damaged, but nice one, part of the Ivanov group.

See http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=23128 for more.

Wow, what a fantastic group, Ed. Particularly interesting was the Belgrad-Medal document, a variation, i have never seen before.

Ferdinand, great specimen, that fisheye is just beautiful :love:

19 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Here's a recent addition. It was awarded posthumously to infantry Captain Aleksei Dubrovin, days after he was killed in action east of Stalino, Ukraine, in September 1943.

Amazing. I guess, posthumous awards are pretty scarce, right? I don´t remember seeing very much of them.

22 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

ere's a recent addition. It was awarded posthumously to infantry Captain Aleksei Dubrovin, days after he was killed in action east of Stalino, Ukraine, in September 1943.

Stalino is the name for Donetsk in Ukraine in 1924-1961, major city of Donbass region where fighting between local militiaman and ukraininan government is ongoing.

2 hours ago, Gerd Becker said:

Amazing. I guess, posthumous awards are pretty scarce, right? I don´t remember seeing very much of them.

Well, before 1977 all the awards were to be returned to the state after awardee's death except for OPWs only which relatives could retain. Therefore, the posthumous awards should not be scarce in theory but lack of supplementary documents leave them untraced.

I have got a few early suspension bar OPWs, one of which is in immaculate condition with all the enamels intact - most likely it is a posthumous award.

Edited by Volovonok

2 hours ago, Gerd Becker said:

They are a bit scarce, although definitely not rare. Right now I have 4 posthumous OPWs in my collection. I was able to locate the records for quite a large number of posthumous awards (see this topic). My guess is that thousands of OPWs were awarded posthumously (much more than any other award, for the obvious reason, as Volovonok stated, that before to 1977 most decorations had to be returned to the state once the recipient had died).

Here are a few of mine.  

The OGPW1 is a posthumous award to a LT killed during the Pozen battle.  This OGPW2 is for a Political Officer.  

OPWI 135_061 OBV.jpg

OPWI 135_061 REV.jpg

OPW2a.jpg

OPW2b.jpg

Here is one to a housing officer in Manchuria. 

OGPW2 Manchuria.jpg

A really great set with a 1985 OGPW2

OGIII BM Labor.jpg

On December 25, 2007 at 10:54, Lapa said:

Chuck,

Unfortunately, this one is NOT what it purports to be :mad:

Marc

[Nine years later]  Are you still around?  Can you explain?  I'm not even sure which order this refers to.

Chuck

• 3 weeks later...

Dan,

your first piece is a very late LMD example awarded from 50-55  and the second one with the missing h&s is a LMD produced around November 44. Did you find a replacement by now for the h&s?

Paul,
    the OPW 83xxx is a nice early KMD piece. Love it!

Edited by Gerd Becker