News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British Battles and Medals, 7th editon

The new -- and long-delayed -- 7th edition of British Battles and Medals is due out in late November ("for holiday giving"). Some 800 pages and (ouch) ?85. Dixon and other dealers can supply it as can, I assume, Spink (the publisher). A must-have (of course). Hopes are that it will be improved.

Guest Rick Research

YOWSERS!!!! For ?85 it MUST be improved--

only color photos of all the medals would seem to justify THAT!!!!!! :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

I'll keep my autographed 4th.

YOWSERS!!!! For ?85 it MUST be improved--

only color photos of all the medals would seem to justify THAT!!!!!! :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

I'll keep my autographed 4th.

And ?30 for airmail postage to the US. :speechless1::speechless1: Shall report when in hand.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Ed & Rick,

For someone like me who is just getting his feet wet in British & Commonwealth ODMs, Is this Book a MUST have?

:beer: Doc

Doc

Gordon's is the Bible for British ODM, so yes, some edition is a must have. OTOH, sixth editions will now be going cheap when the keeners buy the new one so... :cheeky:

Peter

Edited by peter monahan

Doc

Gordon's is the Bible for British ODM, so yes, some edition is a must have. OTOH, sixth editions will now be going cheap when the keeners buy the new one so... :cheeky:

Peter

Is it true that the quality of all editions is not the same and that some of the later editions have less info than the ealrier ones etc. etc. ?

The chief change in the 6th edition was the (unfortunate) removal of Gordon's name and substitution of new authors on the title page, the adoption of a large format (the older editions were normal-book sized, the 6th could be used as a coffee table, not just lie on one), and the welcomed (by me at least) removal of the quaint, jovial racism that infested earlier editions. While I have not seen this new edition, I am told that there will be significant improvements. I know, for example, that a number of collectors of medals to Indians (like myself) submitted loads of corrections and expansions for the last edition that were ignored, although it did remove some (but not all) of Gordon's denigration of medals to Indians. I have been assured by one of the authors of this edition that these and newer changes will be integrated this time around; we shall see. Personally, I have great hopes for this new 7th edition, though I do wish they had restored Gordon's name to some place on the title page (and I gather thay have not).

• 2 weeks later...

The chief change in the 6th edition was the (unfortunate) removal of Gordon's name and substitution of new authors on the title page, the adoption of a large format (the older editions were normal-book sized, the 6th could be used as a coffee table, not just lie on one), and the welcomed (by me at least) removal of the quaint, jovial racism that infested earlier editions. While I have not seen this new edition, I am told that there will be significant improvements. I know, for example, that a number of collectors of medals to Indians (like myself) submitted loads of corrections and expansions for the last edition that were ignored, although it did remove some (but not all) of Gordon's denigration of medals to Indians. I have been assured by one of the authors of this edition that these and newer changes will be integrated this time around; we shall see. Personally, I have great hopes for this new 7th edition, though I do wish they had restored Gordon's name to some place on the title page (and I gather thay have not).

Not all of it was, Ed. I know that my notes on the S.E. Asia clasp to the G.S.M. seemed to have been incorporated entirely, plus notes on several other clasps to both the G.S.M. and I.G.S. medals.

• 3 weeks later...

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

Well, it is here. John Hayward, Diana Birch, and Richard Bishop, British Battles and Medals, 7th ed. (London: Spink, 2006; ISBN 1-902040-77-5). All 798 pages of it. At least it is not like the last edition, requiring major structural remodeling of your working and living area in order to use.

This one is "only" 7-3/4" x 10-3/4" and 2" thick. It is cloth bound without a dust-jacket. While dust jackets don't survive, I worry for the cloth and that lovely Waterloo Medal reverse on the front cover after a few years of heavy use. Pretty as it is (and heavy as it is), I'm tempted to take it off for rebinding in leather in New Delhi.

Inside: full-coated paper with the sorty of smell a book ought to have. All black-and-white (except the ribbon chart (which is a fold-out at the end). Medal images, many familiar, supplemented with images of clasps and (interesting!) images of naming styles.

Now let me read and congeal my second imperssions. You do so too, please!

Edited by Ed_Haynes