News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My British Headdress Collection **RECOMMENDED**

Well I got a reply from the Royal Navy Museum cheers.gif

However, it still leaves the question of my Royal Naval Division Wolseley open.

Stuart

Dear Sir

Thank you for your enquiry.

The Royal Naval Division transferred from the authority of the Admiralty to the War Office on 29 April 1916 (Authority.- 79/8954 (S.D.2.) d/d. 29/04/16) and in May they changed their naval uniform for for army dress.

I have not found anything in our sources on the RND that indicates their army dress had any variation to that issued to regular troops. There was a publicised dislike of the naval divisions by General Shute, who took command of them in October 1916 and it is unlikely he would have encouraged anything that further highlighted the difference between them and the other army units. It is possible that this item was issued while the brigade was briefly under Major General Paris or the army clothing department passed this unusual variant in haste, although this also seems unlikely.

I wish we could be of more assistance on this occasion but wish you luck with any further research on this.

The King's Liverpool arrived today and this interior shot shows two broad arrows facing each other. This indicates Out of Service. It was also the property of the Aldershot Tattoo at some stage but all of the furniture matches. The chinchain has black velvet backing so this helmet was perhaps worn by a senior NCO.

It was manufactured in 1910 by Everitt and Vero of East Dulwich Road, London.

• 2 weeks later...

Stuart superb collection and considering your location an even greater achievement. Have you set ''boundaries'' on period and nation/unit. I am sure the National Army Museum in UK would love to see this display as it must surely rival some of the pieces held there.

Best regards,

Mark

Thanks Mark.

Initially I limited my collection to full dress i.e. the beginning of WWI but recently went into sun helmets - wicker, Colonial pattern, Wolseley pattern, Khaki Solar Pith Hats and Bombay Bowlers. The start point was meant to be early 19th century but the 1768 pattern bearskin mitre extended that.

I have had mixed success with the NAM and find it quite difficult to get anything out of them. I would be surprised if their collections were not larger and better than mine.

Cheers,

Stuart

www.militarysunhelmets.com

A superb collection nonetheless. My experience with military museums throughout Europe incl UK has been the same. The strict rules with gifting and no doubt in the past loose accounting have ensured now that many curators have to be very rigid. In some ways that is good as I am sure we all agree this is the best method in order to preserve the past. The crime I think is when a curator has surplus, has an opportunity to enhance a national collection but does not have the will or knowledge to pursue an obvious advantage. I am sure we have all come across that!!! I have been lucky to meet some great curators who understand a museum and a collection should grow and improve, and one or two who consider it just a job and a pure 'maintenance' role.

Anyway I am not ever going to change that mindset but I would like to think if our NAM were aware of your wonderful pieces thay would be more inclined to engage with you.

Ether way happy hunting and you have every right to be proud.

Mark

Thanks Mark.

Initially I limited my collection to full dress i.e. the beginning of WWI but recently went into sun helmets - wicker, Colonial pattern, Wolseley pattern, Khaki Solar Pith Hats and Bombay Bowlers. The start point was meant to be early 19th century but the 1768 pattern bearskin mitre extended that.

I have had mixed success with the NAM and find it quite difficult to get anything out of them. I would be surprised if their collections were not larger and better than mine.

Cheers,

Stuart

Mark,

I did send photos of my collection some time ago but no response. I hate that mad.gif

My main contact there is unhappy in her job "I've got a fine arts degree and I work here!" She doesn't bother with me anymore.

I got some terrific stuff from the York Castle Museum, enough to make a full chapter in my book on the Wolseley helmet. The Glosters Museum and the Tank Museum were also very helpful, as were the Royal Navy Museum.

Cheers,

Stuart

PS. you are up early!

Edited by Stuart Bates

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a Khaki Solar Pith Helmet to the Royal Armoured Car School. I verified this with the Tank Museum. This one has a faux ventilator cap i.e. there is no vent hole into the interior of the helmet.

These officially replaced the Wolseley and cawnpore Tent Club helmets in 1938 in India but were worn for many years prior to that date.

RoyalArmouredCarSchool-500.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Brian,

yes it was the new camera. I am slowly getting better.

I shot it on the Chroma Green background and then added my blue background via Photoshop. My first attempt was with the helmet at an angle (a tad more interesting) and mounted on a perspex tube wrapped with the green cloth but Green Screen Wizard knocked out the part of the helmet where the tube was - indeed as it should. I don't think I will bother buying GSW now as the green contrasts so well that Photoshop does the job.

Now I just need a couple of lights that are triggered by the camera's flash. Then I may become a good average snapper blush.gif

Stuart

Hi Patrick,

I need (want?) one more Blue Cloth to even up the shelves. I have already overflowed into my office and there are storage/transit tins everywhere. I have three pine trunks also full of tins.

Stuart

PS. Going to get Skype?

Shot with my little Sony as the Canon lens isn't right for a shot like this.

• 3 weeks later...

I shot it on the Chroma Green background and then added my blue background via Photoshop.

I note that there are traces of green, probably due to reflection on the brass, as well as a line along the right side of the helmet and the spike. Have you encountered this on all of your photos? Overall, are you pleased with the Chroma process or is it just as well to close-crop using Photoshop?

Clive

Edited by servicepub

Clive,

I used Photoshop as it gives better results than Green Screen Wizard. Since I am red/green colour-blind I will always have trouble shooting on a green background so I will revert to a light blue next time.

I have now learned how to use Contract and Feather in Photoshop and having acquired a studio flash which is triggered by the camera's flash I hope to get better results. We shall see when my new Green Cloth and Blue Cloth helmets arrive.

Stuart

Edited by Stuart Bates

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my latest acquisition, a Green Cloth to the King's Royal Rifle Corps. Many of you will have seen this one on Patrick's thread. I have no idea why he let it go, but let it go he did and I was the lucky recipient. It sports the second version of their helmet plate i.e. post 1881 and is in superb condition.

Thanks Patrick!

Stuart