News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I am after Mackensen's mini chain!

Guest Rick Research

Congratulations Claudio! :jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping:

It will be wonderful to see it next to its medal bar once more-- the way it should be!!!

Scans of his Coburg Ernestine Ritter 1X entries from the various soon to be published in '07 rolls!

first up, the "neat" or "A" roll, number 181, recorded by the long dead clerk in running numerical order by class of each award. This is enlarged. It is microscopic in the original:

Then the "hideously messy" or "B" roll, number 522. Note George's paper clip still on the page from when he found vonMackensen's entry. The " marks in rows at right indicate that this was a solo-Coburg award not made jointly, to a non-native, and that the Order at the time cost the enormous sum of RM 49! :speechless1:

Guest Rick Research

Both of those are single sheet rolls. Sachsen-Meiningen's Master Roll (which alas ends for ALL Ernestines at the end of 1915-- so he just made surviving inclusion) looks like this in the original, much reduced to fit here. Opened pages are too large to scan.

Guest Rick Research

The notation at far left (as to which of the three Duchies alone or in combination made each award) indicates that he was awarded a Knight 2nd Class on 21 July 1905 which has been returned to the Orders Chancery on promotion to Knight 1st with Xs:

Those are just bits of extra period never-before-seen-the-light-of-day data to go with YOUR :cheers: group's future provenanca !

And a sneak peak at the format of the rolls as they will be published :beer:

The notation at far left (as to which of the three Duchies alone or in combination made each award) indicates that he was awarded a Knight 2nd Class on 21 July 1905 which has been returned to the Orders Chancery on promotion to Knight 1st with Xs:

Those are just bits of extra period never-before-seen-the-light-of-day data to go with YOUR :cheers: group's future provenanca !

And a sneak peak at the format of the rolls as they will be published :beer:

Hi Rick just 1 stupid question

Why does the List in S?tterlin read Hauptmann und yours RM (Rittmeister I guess?)

David

Guest Rick Research

:blush:YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT, David!!!!! That is a Hideous Proofreading Error from the working copy which will be FIXED!!!!! :beer:

• 1 month later...
    Guest Rick Research

Claudio! Just now hunting through what I have of George's and Eric's notes, I found the original auction catalog page for the von Mackensen group, which was sold in Germany in March 1982:

This and the following two invoices were folded up in the pages and pages of notes George made tracking down "suspects" until he had identified von Mackensen-- remember, this was TEN YEARS BEFORE Neal and he got across what had been the DDR border for any Ernestine rolls!

Here is the auctioneer's invoice showing items successfully bid on for him by George's friend Tim Eriksen:

prices in 1982 DMs.

Guest Rick Research

And the bill in April 1982 U.S. dollars:

I do not know what items 2 and 11 were since this is all that has survived to reach me. I guess you will have to guess which of the other two pieces were which, sigh. Prices on both the other items seem much too high for what the Turkish and Bulgarian pieces would have sold for back then. I didn't notice them on the mini chain and regret that I did not find these papers until minutes ago to semi-confirm that the loose pieces must indeed have come with the medal bar and mini chain.

But at least I can offer you, out of all the Seymour Collection, this set of "origin" papers for your attribution files. :beer:

Thank you very much, dear Rick!

Great information! Very interesting to know how much these bars & groups were worth back in the early 80ies.

It is interesting to notice that at that time the bidding and rivalry between collectors was not so extreme like today: the bar went up from a starting price of DM 3'300.- to a final price of DM 3'600.-, and the miniature chain from DM 300.- to DM 550.- (proportionally much more than the bar). Notice also the auction's commission fee: ONLY 7%!!!! :speechless1:

Why can today's auctioneers set the commission so high (20%)? Is it just dictated by the demand of the clients? The more clients are partecipating to auctions the more is the commission charged by the auctioneer? No wonder prices are sky rocketing. :speechless::speechless:

Ciao,

Claudio

Edited by Claudio

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody,

I think I have found a picture of von Mackensen with his medal bar. It's frame picture of the film about Hitler's visit in Italy in 1938.

I'm still looking of a clear picture of Mackensen wearing his medal bar; that would be quite cool!!!

Ciao,

Claudio

• 12 years later...
    • 3 years later...

Dear forumites,

Someone found it for me on eBay … I’m very grateful to him. I could not allow to miss it… it’s a splendid specimen of a typical Godet ribbon bar, like Mackensen‘s medal bar and miniatures chain shown in this very thread at the beginning.

Enjoy!

cheers,

C

962C8E94-A9DF-481E-A8CB-EB37EBB29727.jpeg

FB656824-4C6E-4D8E-824A-20684199AE53.jpeg

Edited by Claudio

Congrats Claudio.

Yes ,it is our fate as collectors The Dealers and sellers split Groupings for a maximum profit and we as collectors try to rectify history by uniting those groups again. yes sometimes it cost us arm and leg

Cheers