News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Grips of DEATH ! German Machine Guns...

Well heck, I need weapons for my collection... I need to plan how I can make this happen. I have to imagine an MG08 cost more than I can afford. What's the going price for 08, 08/15, etc?

Heck, I can't find a machine gun uniform let alone the gun.

• 2 weeks later...

The rear showing the round retrieving tongs and the angle arbor for cleaning the chamber and pushing out the spent case that remains in the ejection tube in their clips. The spare locks (note the two broken shell extractors clipped in the lids) spare barrel, grip screw in oil brushes and I'm lucky this sled has the original leather knee pads etc.

Original front jacket armour plate and disc flash hider with the scarce chained wooden water orifice plug these little puppies are usually missing ( I use this gun at events so I leave this at home!) and the latest addition a round water can, my other can was the one pictured in Dolf's first book.

Regards

Eric

So you have at last tracked down the water drum - very nice :o

Superb display and I on ebay recently I tried winning a helmet cover but was outbid, so I am particularly envious of those. Very tastefully done and come the Summer I will take some images of my bits. I have some catching up to do with you and Chris on the hunt!

Mark

Hi Mark,

I think you are a few lengths ahead, I just have one 08 and a 08/15

If course, Hoss lives in a place where I think he can take his down to the range ? :-)

What i am going to try today, is look at the Canadian Capture list, mine are all from canada so I know where the 08 was captured, the 08/15 I just know where it was sent after the war,

My Sledge has

AWS

stamped one side

and 13

on the other.

I assume AWS is maker

928 early gun number and 13 year of manufacture?

Want to see if there was a gun 928 on the capture lists

best

Chris

As we used to say in the good old days 'quality not quantity' so both you and Eric have a superb collection. I am restoring a few pieces so it will have to be the Summer until I take the family outside. Your details/markings are correct and some of mine are AWS made. I will offer the serial numbers as they may feature on your register too - great thread.

Mark

Do either of you have any images of the Marine/Naval MG08 fitted to a sled. I have bought a Naval MG08 with sled 'conversions' so it has clearly been altered for ground use. I would like to display it with a 'blown up image behind it. It is definately period adaption as I compared it to some British maxims 'sled adaptions'. Rather interesting and should look rather nice on a sled.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Mark

Can't wait to see your new gun!

I love working on mine here is one of my rebuilt schloss o8 next to a 1910 I converted you do need workshop facilities though, takes patience particularly when grinding the lock trunnion for head spacing. They are other ways of doing this including using m10 barrel plates etc but I didn't want to sacrifice original German parts and be able to swap my locks quick. The other image shows the unmodified lock.

Regards

Eric

Do either of you have any images of the Marine/Naval MG08 fitted to a sled. I have bought a Naval MG08 with sled 'conversions' so it has clearly been altered for ground use. I would like to display it with a 'blown up image behind it. It is definately period adaption as I compared it to some British maxims 'sled adaptions'. Rather interesting and should look rather nice on a sled.

Mark

You may find what you are looking for on page 20 or 21 of the MG photo album...

http://www.kaiserscross.com/246801/home.html

Best

Chris

Chris a wonderful collection. Is the lewis a 'captured by Germans' example?

As ths thread is really blossoming and you and the moderator team are re-structuring is it worth putting the other MG08 and 08/15 posts into this one, making anything ground MG in one place. The thread with MG images perhaps could remain stand alone?

Mark

You may find what you are looking for on page 20 or 21 of the MG photo album...

http://www.kaiserscross.com/246801/home.html

Best

Chris

Chris thanks - great photos but I need to show the Naval MG08 converted to fit a sled. I have a good image of it on the trench mount but will add some images shortly of the super very well made 'traditional maxim sight stem/drum'

Mark

Some random observations for this piece. Underneath and alongside the normal zf mount there are the mounting holes for the main naval/zeppelin sight stem.

The graticles on the side of the sight stem is a superb idea and I am suprised this was never thought of as standard. and the following picture shows the original mounting and the added sled mounting.

Mark