News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Grips of DEATH ! German Machine Guns...

• 2 weeks later...

OK as per request here are better pics of the MG08's

First up is DWM 1915, this has been restored over the last year and a half,it had been chrome plated and many parts had been discarded even though I was assured it was absolutely complete. Still need a barrel (and a sled)

this is a DWM 1916, another restoration,most parts were in place except for what had been removed to complete another gun at some stage of its life,annoying parts missing like springs and detents for sight. Currently has an 08/15 feed block as I don't have an 08 feed block for it yet. Armor is a recent addition I was very fortunate to pick up.

Cheers

Andrew

Mine was captured by the canadians on the canal du Nord,

My MG08/15... that was a bummer.... there are two with the same number captured by Canadainas.... one with a fantastic story, and one without.... As mine had been given to a certain University after the war, I was able to establish it was the one WITHOUT the sexy story.... :-(

Still, not the end of the world... I love em to bits....

The 1916 Gun has a serial Number the same as a gun on the Canadian register of war trophy's, I can only Guess the Canadian gun is a Spandau gun as the Spandau serial number range was prefixed every 10,000 guns unlike the unbroken DWM serial number range so in theory there would be a number of guns with the same serial number if the prefix was not recorded. One day I will try and research the NZ trophy register and see weather the guns have any interesting details recorded.Both guns are NZ war trophy guns, once upon a time there were plenty of MG08 over here but time has taken its toll n them and today complete guns are quite scarce.

I honestly think that story or no story these are incredible pieces of history, And a good many of them would have seen considerable use against allied troops in the field and would have been captured in some serious combat. Both of my guns exhibit scars from battle. 1915 gun had a bullet through the base of the receiver box and water jacket "in the field deactivation" the 1916 gun has a shrapnel slice through the water jacket

Dont have an 08/15, maybe some day. The 08/15 feed block in the 1916 gun is a WWII NZ Home Guard .303 conversion done out of desperation due to a lack of available armaments a number of 08's and 08/15's were converted to .303 for the Home Guard to use in case of Japanese invasion. The threat of invasion was a very real prospect for the local population at the time and the stress was only relieved when the U.S Marines arrived in 1942.

I definitely love them ! Would be happy to get a few more if the opportunity arises.

Edited by MG34NZ

I honestly think that story or no story these are incredible pieces of history, And a good many of them would have seen considerable use against allied troops in the field and would have been captured in some serious combat.

Indeed, but as a document collector i like my guns like I like my documents, with as much research potential as possible ;-)

I once saw a nice pic of Canadians with MGs captured on the canal du Nord.... cannot help wondering if my baby is amongst them.

Unfortunately my Grantenwerfer 16 are not on the list.

• 4 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...

Hi Mark

Have any interesting bits and pieces tools etc seeing you guys can't shoot em, for example I'm looking for a period right angle 08 water hose fitting and a belt pick and and and oh help sorry........... :unsure:

Eric the Nut

• 3 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...

DWM gun 4472 was made mid-late 1915, which means 90% of the 08s you see were made later in the war.

Nice Chris, I have one that is 209 higher than your gun 4681 Love the early guns.

Andrew

• 1 month later...

Sorry last request for help!

2 ammo boxes and one very obviously shorter than the other! No fittings but could it be another 'container' for the elusive 100 rd MG08/15 ammo belt, or is it MG08 specific for aircraft use perhaps?

Another recent purchase from a Belgian collector but not complete, but again does anyone know the correct contents?

Mark

I dont understand the question btw this kit fold is disgustingly gorgeous and my friend did you know I'd give a kidney to own it. until I joined forums I thought Mr Goldsmith held the only known example.

#221 is a maxim 08 kit made up by Finland imo.

On those sights us mg nutters have to be careful the vast majority are for artillery not mg, ima used to sell em, DK is like a nut collecting squirrel on those and won't sell me one of his! its one on my life's quest to find one for my 08,,,, before my 100th birthday would be nice..

I only became aware those short cans existing a couple of years ago, your maybe right Mark it being for an 08/15 thanks for showing is there a maker stamp? Blimey Mark your collection must be approaching one of the best by now.

Eric

Edited by Hoss