News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Another Kick at the Khan

I just landed an India General Service Medal 1936, with the NWF 1936-37 clasp to the 3-1 Punjab Regt.

It was shown as named to 11708 SEPOY KARAM DAD KHAN 3-1 PUNJAB R

Now as is my custom, I ran him with CWGC, and was returned "no records". Fortunately I thought back to my 9th Cavalry group to L/Dfr. Ghulam Rasoul Khan, and the naming of the later medals.

I ran "KARAM DAD", and bingo, there he was, still a Sepoy, still with the 3-1 Punjab, November 30, 1941, aged 27. A casualty of the Battle of the Libyan Omar.

And next-of-kin in Pakistan, so I have no qualms adding the WWII medals. And I've got my Africa Star group that I needed to complete my set.

Khan is an honorific, and may not show on a search.

From the description:

This item is an India general Service Medal 1936-39 named to 11708 SEPOY KARAM DAD KHAN 3-1 PUNJAB R with clasp North West Frontier 1936-37.

This clasp was issued for service in operations largely against the Fakir of Ipi in Waziristan between 24th November 1936 and 16th December 1937.

I think his regiment was the 3rd Battalion, 1st Punjab Regiment, which would then give a regimental history (as at March 1922) by the amalgamation of the 62nd Punjabis, 66th Punjabis, 1st Brahmans, 82nd Punjabis and the 84th Punjabis.

There is a slight dink on the rim at approximately 6 o'clock

That's a helluva way to refer to His Majesty King George VI. :P