Jump to content

Recommended Posts

MG08 shield marked Sturm Batl 4. 2nd M.G.K. Regensburg and taken at their training area at Oudenaarde in August 1917. I'm only showing that STB4 had 1 MGK so is this perhaps just a MGK that took their training course?

 

322-3.thumb.jpeg.e162c72dc9271edd2cf53265976de987.jpeg

 

Grave of Karl Jasper of the 2nd Kompanie of Sturm-Bataillon Nr.1

stb1.thumb.jpeg.b6d5ae9cdc162d0245a5c466ed64382c.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...
On 04/04/2021 at 00:59, motojosh said:

MG08 shield marked Sturm Batl 4. 2nd M.G.K. Regensburg and taken at their training area at Oudenaarde in August 1917. I'm only showing that STB4 had 1 MGK so is this perhaps just a MGK that took their training course?

 

322-3.thumb.jpeg.e162c72dc9271edd2cf53265976de987.jpeg

 

Grave of Karl Jasper of the 2nd Kompanie of Sturm-Bataillon Nr.1

stb1.thumb.jpeg.b6d5ae9cdc162d0245a5c466ed64382c.jpeg

Musketier ... a  old fashioned word going back to the XVIII Century

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello!

That´s strange...

As you wrote, the Sturmbataillon 4 only had one MGK (their Ersatz came from 4.Ers.MGK of Garde-Korps)

So what was the 2.MGK Regensburg? Does Regensburg mean the town or is it the name of their leader?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/08/2021 at 21:50, The Prussian said:

Hello!

That´s strange...

As you wrote, the Sturmbataillon 4 only had one MGK (their Ersatz came from 4.Ers.MGK of Garde-Korps)

So what was the 2.MGK Regensburg? Does Regensburg mean the town or is it the name of their leader?

I'm thinking it's the town Regensburg since there looks to be some Bavarians in the photo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello!

Yes, and that makes me wonder...

Sturmbataillon 4 was not a bavarian unit.  The Ersatz for the one (!) MG-company came from 4th Ersatz-MG-company of the guard-corps!

Here I´ve got a postcard with a stamp from that Sturmbataillon.

The fieldpost number is 249. That was located in Audenaarde too.

So I think you were right, that we see a bavarian MGK in training with the SB4.

 

 

Sturmbataillon Nr. 4 (Stempel) - Kopie.jpg

Sturmbataillon Nr. 4 (Stempel).jpg

Edited by The Prussian
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 29/08/2021 at 19:27, The Prussian said:

Hello!

Yes, and that makes me wonder...

Sturmbataillon 4 was not a bavarian unit.  The Ersatz for the one (!) MG-company came from 4th Ersatz-MG-company of the guard-corps!

Here I´ve got a postcard with a stamp from that Sturmbataillon.

The fieldpost number is 249. That was located in Audenaarde too.

So I think you were right, that we see a bavarian MGK in training with the SB4.

 

 

 

 

Very nice postcard Andy and thanks for the help solving the mystery.

 

Sterbebild for Unteroffizier Franz Reichwein of Sturm-Bataillon Nr. 1.  In the morning of Easter Monday, April 9, 1917, after fighting on the Somme, fatally wounded by a bullet in the chest and died at the field hospital at Cambrai.

 

stmbtl1.1.thumb.jpg.aadebd379d5e61657568e6b8a6a4ac1e.jpg

 

stmbtl1.2.thumb.jpg.32d1230be3609a808bb5ac9162e471aa.jpg

 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Picked up this interesting postcard recently. With the leather knee patches, crossed grenades, and skull on the sign I believe these may be Bavarians of Sturm-Bataillon Nr. 6. This is the first time I've ever seen a non flying unit referred to as a Jagdstaffel.

 

 

724-9.thumb.jpeg.eeb66c94e1d33fc9b322a64978e1af64.jpeg

 

 

724-9.1.thumb.jpg.c9d7b6aceae6a4e401e6194f9ee779d5.jpg

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, motojosh said:

Sterbebild for Unteroffizier Franz Reichwein of Sturm-Bataillon Nr. 1.  In the morning of Easter Monday, April 9, 1917

First mentioned in the VL as severely wounded on 5th May 1917, then, on 3rd July 1917 as KIA.

GreyC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


  • Blog Comments

    • Two years down the line.   My mother-in-law passed away this summer, as did one of her sisters-in-law.   My exhibition opened, and we had a marvellous speakers' night with four Peacekeeping veterans, including a Meritorious Service Medal winner.  But Covid closed it down in March 2020, and while still there it hasn't reopened.
    • Sounds great other than the Orange & Mango squash only because I prefer cran-pomegranate juice.
    • "(...) disgusting herbal concoction (...)" I took note of this description, to enrich my otherwise limited, English "Wortschatz"...
    • At work the standard indian tea such as PG tips is referred to as chimp tea. This goes back to the days when we had a Spanish girl working for us whose command of the English language was extremely limited. One lunch she said she was going to the shop could she get anything. I asked if she could get a pack of tea bags. She returned with some disgusting herbal concoction. I tried to explain what was required but without success. I then remembered PG tips had a picture of a chimpanzee on the packe
    • When I read Lapsang Souchong i decided to post something about these Tea . Many years ago I dont  know about Lapsang until I read James Michener book Centennial and the description of the savour of the Lapasang as a mix of tar and salt & smoked made me proof . It was exact ! and i liked it since then .
×
×
  • Create New...