News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 2 months later...
    • 8 months later...
    • 3 years later...
    • 1 month later...

I have only now noticed... dont know why I missed it.... it is the only units documents I have where the wording is "The Kaiser awarded Joe the EK" as opposed to "On behalf of the kaiser, I have awarded..."

Of course, Rohr could not approve EK awards himself, but it is unusual that the Kaiser is the Authority that, according to the doc, made or signed off on the award. This is true for the 4 Rohr EK docs I have.

The Flame Thrower guys seem to have been awarded the EK by the unit they were attached to during the action where they eraned it....

• 3 months later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 2 months later...

...and here is another one, from Sturmbataillon 15:

Christian Binder, 2. (wuertt.) / bayr. Sturm - Btl. 15, winner of the Wuerttemberg gMVM for the raid at the Tête du Violu (Violenkopf) with the codename "Entwaesserung" under the command of Lt. d. R. August Hauser, 09. March 1918. Later in June, while another raid with the codename "Jagd" he was wounded by handgranade splinters (and received the wound badge). The operation "Entwaesserung" was supported by the assault troops of Landwehr Regiment 30 (you show some pictures of them in another thread).

In the below shown picture of a group of the 2. company (consists of staff from Wuerttemberg only) of the Sturmbataillon 15, I can also identify the Uffz. Eugen Baitinger from Stuttgart, he received the gMVM of Wuerttemberg in September 1918.

(I have posted this photo approx. two years ago, but obviously nobody was interested in)

Regards,

Matthias

If you are interested I have a closeup of Eugen Baitinger, with a textbook Sturmgrenadier uniform. I have a second group from the same Wuerttemberg Unit (2. / Sturm - Btl. 15), Uffz. Georg Brenner, same as the Christian Binder group with Soldbuch, Wehrpass, pictures and a couple of other documents (and medals). The above shown printed form in the Wehrpass by the Sturmbataillon 15 is the same you can find in Brenners Wehrpass. Georg Brenner earned his golden bravery medal for the capture of some Americans in Summer 1918 in the Vosges. Unfortunately I have never seen an award document for an Iron Cross from this Unit (the award of the Wuerttemberg bravery medal was noted in Soldbuch, Wehrpass and certainly in the Stammrolle only, as you know).

Matthias

• 4 months later...
    • 4 months later...

This is a very interesting stamp..... It seems that at this early date the exact designation of the Sturmbataillons was not yet cleared..... a Short time later it would be Sturm-Bataillon Nr.3

Chris, I believe it became Sturm Bataillon Nr.2 -

Jager (Sturm) Bataillon 3 was in the formation of the 2. Armee

Edited by Naxos