Here is another recommendation list, from Sturm-Bataillon 4, though with a more generic Begründung.  I don't know which Freiherr v. Hammerstein signed it.  Sturm-Btl. 4 was a Garde unit, so maybe Hptm.d.R. Adolf Frhr. v. Hammerstein-Loxten from the Reserve of the Garde-Jäger-Bataillon, although he might have been a Maj.d.R. by 1917.  

You can also see by the penciled-in notation "Höchste Genehmigung vom 18. Juli 1917" that it took two months from recommendation to approval.  I am not sure how typical this is, but it usually took longer than it would for an Iron Cross, since once the recommendation was received, the Staatsministerium would then have to contact the local magistrate to confirm the citizenship and residency of the proposed awardee.

566825f9b7f01_Sturm-Btl.4AK-Vorschlag.th

For the most part, all award recommendations had to follow this procedure.  Even Prinz Aribert, as a commander in the field, had to have his recommendations sent back to Dessau.  Once he became Prinzregent in September 1918, though, he made a number of awards on his own authority.  Duke Friedrich made a bunch of immediate awards when he visited the front, but his Flügeladjutant had to scramble to get the correct information so everything could be properly documented.

For the battalion, I would assume it was the adjutant or whoever was in charge of maintaining the Kriegsrangliste/Kriegsstammrolle.

• 11 months later...

I just picked up a Militärpass and Soldbuch to a Sturm-Soldat. He served in the Sturm Abteilung der 207 ID and then in the Sturm Kompagnie der 89 Reserve Infanterie-Brigade. He also served in a Freikorps Grenzschutz Ost company and won the EKI, II and Grenzschutz Ost Deutsch-Ritterkreuz. Here is the front page of his Soldbuch. I will post both pieces when I get them.

Does anyone have any information on these two Sturm units?

Sturmkomp_89 Res. Inf Brig.JPG

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Chris!

Divisional SB didn´t have leather-patches. Only official SBs had those patches.

Hi,

I have seen regular infantry wearing the leather patches, I used to think automatically "Sturm bataillon!" but in retrospect there were lots of guys with leather on their knees.

Hi Chris!

The "Gebirgsstiefelhose" was worn by official SBs and troops who served in the mountains like Alenkorps, Karpathenkorps and units in the Carpathians, Rumania and Macedonia, since january 1918 as well as 9th army, 11th army, 14th army, Armee Armee-Abt. A, B and Scholtz.

Then Ul.Rgt.21, Ldw.Rgt. 38, 40 and 438, a few Landsturm-Bataillons

Source: Kraus vol. I, page 245/246

Hi Chris!

The "Gebirgsstiefelhose" was worn by official SBs and troops who served in the mountains like Alenkorps, Karpathenkorps and units in the Carpathians, Rumania and Macedonia, since january 1918 as well as 9th army, 11th army, 14th army, Armee Armee-Abt. A, B and Scholtz.

Then Ul.Rgt.21, Ldw.Rgt. 38, 40 and 438, a few Landsturm-Bataillons

Source: Kraus vol. I, page 245/246

Indeed, so you have to factor in a lot of Bavarian Infantry in the Vogesen z.B. as well as divisional sturm Units in the Areas of the Units above etc...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...