Japanese wound badges

Paul L Murphy

I will send you high res pictures of the Sen sho and Ko sho badges, as well as the document that went with them. I will also have a look through any images I used for my own book and see if there is anything that is wound related. I also have the next of kin medal and related document for Japanese KIA which I will also send.

I also have one of the earlier shield shaped sen-sho badges but I will only be able to send a photo when I relocate to London early next year.

Cheers,

Paul

Sen-sho on the left (has a gilt finish on the obverse), Ko-sho on the right (silver obverse finish). The Sen-sho is for wonds of a combat nature while the Ko-sho was for non combat wounds or illness.

They are difficult to find without crazing in the enamel since the enamel used has tended to crack over the years, presumably due to the effects of heat and humidity.

:blush: Forgot about this one. KIA next of kin. Kanji reads "Spring 1943" with reference to the year in "Showa" reckoning. I believe these were applied for at a shrine (Yasukuini?), and came with monetary compensation?

Edited by Ralph A

• 1 year later...