News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

General Campaign Medal 1873

Ralph A

On his 25th jubilee, (Dec 1873) Kaiser Franz Joseph I instituted the "Kriegsmedaille" dated on the reverse "2.December 1873".

Given to all personnel who took part in a (minimum of one) action since 1848.

Note the Habsburg-colors of black and yellow!

Later, given to all who took part in each completed campaign until the Kaiser's death in November 1916.

Guest Rick Research

Actually, last officially bestowed for the 1900-1901 Boxer Rebellion in China.

Robert Noss has a photo of an Austro-Hungarian officer who had served with German forces in Southwest Africa during the Herero-Hottentot War of 1904-06 wearing one which would appear to be an anomalous individual late award.

The medal and its ribbon are quite often found SELF-awarded in WW1 groups by Austrians who felt they "should" have gotten it-- but old Kaiser Franz Joseph NEVER authorized it for 1914-16. He may have intended some new award, as the incoming Emperor did with the Karl Cross, and never got around to it.

• 3 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 3 years later...

Hi..

I don?t think that medals with german Z instead of C in DECEMBER is version after 1900. its only a "fashionable" variation... there is a lot of variations of War medal 1873...

the luxury box is wonderfull, the second is some kind of "universal" box.. it was used for several medals - jubilee medal 1898, jubilee cros 1908, silver bravery medal I. class, memorial cross 1912-13, etc..