News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

General Comments and discussion about fakes

• Replies 287
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know why one of the most common markers to identify a fake medal is the serifs of the "K" in the word "COBIETCKYIO"? Is it so difficult to be reproduced correctly?

It is so difficult :(

Once you star faking all those Ks and Js and As look the same :D

*that's my explanation for it :D

Right!

I realized that I took the worst example for supporting my question on the "K"... That Partisan medal does not have a single letter which might be confused with the original!

Personally, I would like that all fakes were like that one: oh what an easy life for a dumb collector as I am!

The general opinion is the suspension ring is wrong. I agree it is very unusual but I have seen other medals with the same characteristics and I would say this detail depends very much on the workmanship, rather than whatever faking process. Then some experts asked me 1200dpi scan of both avers and reverse and their conclusion was that this was "one of the most accurate copies ever seen" but with no further information.

Since the opinion was coming from reputable experts, I took this statement for granted and I classified the medal as a fake.

As an amateur collector, as I am, I haven't reached a sufficient level of experience to understand on my own what's wrong with this medal. That's why I propose it time to time, hoping to learn something useful.

Some people have typical characteristics of douche bags, so therefore they must be? <- this concensus?

The medal looks fine to me, and so what if the suspension might be a later addition. It looks like it should belong on it in the first place.

I'm reminded of that Black Pearl in the pawn shop that was sold as a "cosmetic jewellery" piece, one day a lady walks in and noticed it, buys it and gets it appraised and tested, virtually flawless natural black Pearl. Some of the "experts" are wrong at times.

Is there any other argument to this specific piece being fake?

I'm still thinking to this not-fake Defense of the Polar Region discussed in the previous posts.

I was trying to identify the difference between this one and other Polar T1, and I could find some. On the reverse, for instance, I noticed differences in the "K" and in the "D" as shown in the next picture (the medal under discussion is on the right).

I have also noticed, after so many years, that this Polar has a peculiar characteristic in the handle of the sickle: a sort of half-sphere where the handle joins the blade. So, this medal is in fact a T1.2 which must be not very common considering that all my other Polars (7 off - assumed original) do not have this "pimple".

However, the serif of the K and D (and maybe something else) give me the impression of being strange. There are also some small differences on the obverse, apparently.

Maybe these characteristics are typical of the variation, I think it would be very interesting to know. Does anyone have more examples of T1.2 Polar Medals for a comparison?

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2013/post-5691-0-97148900-1380481379.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2013/post-5691-0-49440900-1380481422.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2013/post-5691-0-88284400-1380481461.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2013/post-5691-0-13713900-1380481507.jpg