News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

All About Researching Soviet Awards

Gentlemen,

I have two nice groups for which I have almost 100% full research (over pages each). However, they each miss research for one long service award, one from 1949 and the other from 1956. But since their service record show info past those dates, I would believe the citations for the awards should be in the archives.

Is is possible to have researcher to do a second research on a group without having to pay agin for award card and service record which I already have?

If you know someone who can do this, please email or PM me contact information.

Thanks in advance!

Gentlemen,

I have two nice groups for which I have almost 100% full research (over pages each). However, they each miss research for one long service award, one from 1949 and the other from 1956. But since their service record show info past those dates, I would believe the citations for the awards should be in the archives.

Is is possible to have researcher to do a second research on a group without having to pay agin for award card and service record which I already have?

If you know someone who can do this, please email or PM me contact information.

Thanks in advance!

My guess is that your two awards were not awarded with citations. I am writing this with info off the top of my head rather than what I actually have in my "archives" as reference, but I can't recall seeing a long service citation any later than 1948, and even that is unusual. Before people show me all the examples of long service awards citations they have from the 1960s and 70s, let me phrase my statement in the light of the Military Merit Medal, Red Star, Red Banner and Lenin that were given out automatically for certain years of service. I have seen plenty of other Red Banner, Red Star and Lenin citations post-1956 for awards that were most obviously long service (e.g. at retirement).

The majority of long service awards from the time you are referencing were awarded with just the Ukaz as the awarding authority vice a citation. Remember that the citation was a _request_ for the decoration to be awarded, whereas the Ukaz was the directive giving the award.

Thus, unless the person needed justification for the awarding of their long service award, they were simply awarded automatically to the recipient via the Ukaz (though probably by some means of application, but we'll never know that.)

Make sense?

Dave

Hi Dave,

You write about research as if it is more than just a cruel fantasy? When I am "lucky" I get "no", most of the time there's no more than a prevailing deafening silence.

Sigh . . . :banger:

Ed

I'm thinking of writing an article for JOMSA about it...but then again, that might just be more cruel than helpful...

:banger:

Dave

P.S. My next article will be on posthumous awards...still part way through that one... :cheers:

My guess is that your two awards were not awarded with citations. I am writing this with info off the top of my head rather than what I actually have in my "archives" as reference, but I can't recall seeing a long service citation any later than 1948, and even that is unusual. Before people show me all the examples of long service awards citations they have from the 1960s and 70s, let me phrase my statement in the light of the Military Merit Medal, Red Star, Red Banner and Lenin that were given out automatically for certain years of service. I have seen plenty of other Red Banner, Red Star and Lenin citations post-1956 for awards that were most obviously long service (e.g. at retirement).

The majority of long service awards from the time you are referencing were awarded with just the Ukaz as the awarding authority vice a citation. Remember that the citation was a _request_ for the decoration to be awarded, whereas the Ukaz was the directive giving the award.

Thus, unless the person needed justification for the awarding of their long service award, they were simply awarded automatically to the recipient via the Ukaz (though probably by some means of application, but we'll never know that.)

Make sense?

Dave

Thanks Dave. And one of my groups (if not both) were researched by you. I presume if citation was available you would have got it together with the rest, right?

I just thought the citation could provide new information about the recipient I didn't already have with actual papers.

Now, this brings another question, how could I get the photocopy of the specific Ukaz applying to these long service awards and showing the list of recipients including my officer? I remember having seen scans here which listed a bunch of awardees names for a Red Banner long service. I would be ready to pay to obtain the two documents pertaining to my awards.

Thanks!

Thanks Dave. And one of my groups (if not both) were researched by you. I presume if citation was available you would have got it together with the rest, right?

I just thought the citation could provide new information about the recipient I didn't already have with actual papers.

Now, this brings another question, how could I get the photocopy of the specific Ukaz applying to these long service awards and showing the list of recipients including my officer? I remember having seen scans here which listed a bunch of awardees names for a Red Banner long service. I would be ready to pay to obtain the two documents pertaining to my awards.

Thanks!

Yes, if it was there, we would have gotten it.

You can try getting the other two citations, but take my word for it, they'll be rather dissapointing...not much there other than the cover sheet for the Ukaz (which will state something to the effect of "For long and irreproachable service, the following awards are bestowed...") and then another page with a line with your recipients name on it. At that point, you wouldn't have anything more than you already have for your group.

But if you really want them, you can always request them. Of course, since very few are getting research back these days, it might be a while (if ever) before you see them.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

From what I have just recently heard, research is now quite unwell. Not due to the rumors of an archival shutdown, but from a general melt-down of source access. Those who have previously sent photographed full-color images, now request that if they are posted (on places like this) they now be converted to monochrome images. A sure sign that things are chilling?

One of my frequent research wholesalers has just given up on the business. (For those who know, initials "AF".)

Count the seconds for future research?

:(

Edited by Ed_Haynes

• 2 weeks later...

I would be happy to hear if someone actually requested and got back a recent research from any source (including Alexei). I was going to submit a request, but I am a bit concerned to pay in advance and have my money frozen for an eternal time until I am finally told research is not possible....

I have just recieved an email from a researcher (not Nota Bene though) saying that a pile of research will be arriving tomorrow jumping.gifjumping.gif

I don't know whether my order is included or not, but just the fact that somebody will be getting results is a cause for celebration!

-Alex

I have just recieved an email from a researcher (not Nota Bene though) saying that a pile of research will be arriving tomorrow jumping.gifjumping.gif

I don't know whether my order is included or not, but just the fact that somebody will be getting results is a cause for celebration!

-Alex

Extremely good news!! :jumping::cheers:

I have just got another email saying that research for my Order of the Red Banner has come in. Except that it isn't actually for the one I have. I accidentally gave the wrong number. My order is #109,558, not 109,668. I misread the number from the picture I had (since I didn't have the real thing with me when I sent the request) and only realized my mistake now.

banger.gifbanger.gifbanger.gifbanger.gifbanger.gif

I simply cannot put into words how frustrated and embarrassed I am banger.gifsad.gif Hopefully something can be done about this mistake.

Besides that, the researcher has informed me that he is still sorting through the research and will let me know about results as soon as he finds them.

-Alex

Edited by RedMaestro

• 2 weeks later...

Except that it isn't actually for the one I have. I accidentally gave the wrong number. My order is #109,558, not 109,668. I misread the number from the picture I had (since I didn't have the real thing with me when I sent the request) and only realized my mistake now.

I've done the same thing before, so don't feel too embarassed! Unfortunately I had to pay the $55 for the research anyway and just chock that one up to a learning experience. Ouch! :speechless:

Dave

I've done the same thing before, so don't feel too embarassed! Unfortunately I had to pay the $55 for the research anyway and just chock that one up to a learning experience. Ouch! :speechless:

Dave

Yeah, it cost me about the same too. Hopefully it will at least make interesting reading, and if I'm lucky there's a 1 in 600,000 chance that I can find the medal. I better start searching!

I have been guaranteed that all of my research requests will arrive on Tuesday. I can't wait! jumping.gif

-Alex

• 2 months later...
    Guest Rick Research

Given current events, I sincerely hope he has not been arrested.

What we all consider friendly assistance others may interpret far differently.

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Just spoke to The Researcher. He has had some personal issues but, more importantly, there have been top-level staff changes at the archives and a cut-back of front-line staff (who actually help find the stuff). A delay, but he thinks things are getting back on track.

Pray to whatever gods you worship . . . .

Just spoke to The Researcher. He has had some personal issues but, more importantly, there have been top-level staff changes at the archives and a cut-back of front-line staff (who actually help find the stuff). A delay, but he thinks things are getting back on track.

Pray to whatever gods you worship . . . .

Thanks Ed for letting us know..some new is better than no new at all..

• 3 months later...

After 342 days I finally heard from our researcher! A batch of research is ready to be flown across the pond. Is the research process revived? Anyway, I'm a happy man! :jumping:

I head from him too. I quote from his message: "[The research process] does get better and better. I am receiving more and more documents on a monthly basis now. Although some mess and backlog still exists, the stalemate is over." :jumping::jumping:

None of my stuff has come in yet, but I have great hope for the near future!

Edited by RedMaestro