News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Victoria Cross donated to war memorial

Guest andrew67

Guest andrew67

An anonymous donor has given the Australian War Memorial a Victoria Cross awarded to a digger who captured six enemy machine guns and 60 prisoners during the Gallipoli campaign in World War I.

Lance Corporal Bernard Gordon's medal was auctioned last month for $485,800, the second highest price paid for a VC in Australia.

One of the machine guns he captured is on display in the memorial's Gallipoli gallery.

The medal arrived at the war memorial early today with little fanfare and a request from the donor for anonymity.

"We had a whisper it may be donated to us yesterday," curator Nick Fletcher said.

"I went to bed curious and woke up curious."

Memorial director Steve Gower was delighted with the donation.

"Such medals are a tangible reminder of the great sacrifice our soldiers have made in the past," Mr Gower said.

An anonymous donor has given the Australian War Memorial a Victoria Cross awarded to a digger who captured six enemy machine guns and 60 prisoners during the Gallipoli campaign in World War I.

Lance Corporal Bernard Gordon's medal was auctioned last month for $485,800, the second highest price paid for a VC in Australia.

One of the machine guns he captured is on display in the memorial's Gallipoli gallery.

The medal arrived at the war memorial early today with little fanfare and a request from the donor for anonymity.

"We had a whisper it may be donated to us yesterday," curator Nick Fletcher said.

"I went to bed curious and woke up curious."

Memorial director Steve Gower was delighted with the donation.

"Such medals are a tangible reminder of the great sacrifice our soldiers have made in the past," Mr Gower said.

Now that's a real Gentleman or Lady. This person has purchased and donated the VC to the appropriate museum anonymously. :cheers: Hat's off to the donor!!! :cheers:

:beer: Doc

The "anonymous" donor was Kerry Stokes - the medal this time was bought by his solicitor who was sitting in the room and made the bids on his behalf.

He bought the last one that sold for over a million dollars here earlier in the year and did the same thing (as in donating it).

He is of the opinion that ALL war medals should be donated to the Australian War Memorial and that there should not be trading in other people's medals. I somehow doubt that he consulted the AWM before suggesting such a thing. I also doubt that he has thought through his comments properly.

cheers,

bj