News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I absolutely love this order...one of those that I always looked at and was sure I would never own...seemed too out of reach...but stogieman laid this on the sales block and I thought I better get it while I can.

A few dings but she is a beauty all in all.....I would love to see anyone's in higher grades if you have them...

Thanks

that's a great addition, sal!

it's one of the nice things about

this forum to find that little birds

are finding good homes!

i don't know if this is a higher order,

but is certainly a member of the family.

it comes with a black case with

SACHSEN-WEIMAR

WILHELM ERNST

KRIEGSKREUZ

stamped on the cover.

hope you likee!

joe

What was the award criteria for these medals? Valor on the field? Political?

Which one? The White Falcon or the Wilhelm-Ernst Kriegskreuz?

The White Falcon, which has one of the longest official names of a German order - Gro?herzoglich S?chsischer Hausorden der Wachsamkeit oder vom Wei?en Falken (Grand Ducal Saxon House Order of Vigilance or the White Falcon) - was the grand duchy's house order. It was its principal award for any merit to the crown, from valor to politics.

With swords, it was a military award for bravery in the field or for military merit. Since Saxe-Weimar did not have an Iron Cross "equivalent", the order filled that role as well for officers. Thus, for a Saxe-Weimar lieutenant or captain, the White Falcon Knight's Cross Second Class with Swords was the primary bravery award (and that grade without swords was the main peacetime military merit award). Higher grades went to higher ranks - the Knight 1st Class generally went to majors and lieutenant colonels.

Although there were gold and silver merit crosses of the White Falcon which could be awarded with swords to NCOs, these were not common awards. The Saxe-Weimar Iron Cross "equivalent" for enlisted men was the General Honor Decoration with swords clasp, which came in gold, silver and bronze classes.

The Wilhelm-Ernst Kriegskreuz was founded in June 1915 to fill the gap for repeated acts of bravery. Since the White Falcon and the General Honor Decoration were awarded based on rank, one couldn't get a higher grade as a second award unless one were promoted. There was no equivalent to the Iron Cross 1st Class. The Wilhelm-Ernst Kriegskreuz was intended to fill that gap, but also had stricter criteria that made it a much rarer award. You had to already have the Iron Cross 1st Class and you had to be either a native of the grand duchy or serve in the grand duchy's units (primarily IR 94, but I think it probably extended to the grand duchy's reserve and Landwehr regiments and battalions as well).

Guest Rick Research

Naughty peebles are not paying attention to pinned threads on award rolls--

I have completed the WW1 Weimar Rolls down through Gold General Decoration Medals X and am now working on the Silvers. (Do not have and will not do the Bronzes since so many).

Sal-- White Falcon Knight Second X (SWF3bX) is the (wouldn't you know it?) only class NOT complete-- with NO rolls to NATIVES after 1915. 588 are listed-- say there were 1,200 total in that grade. We may never know unless the missing 1916-18 roll shows up.

Weimar was cheapstingymiserlydidI mentionstingy and UNDERdecorated recipients by grades.

As I have said in the rolls thread, CROSSES of the White Falcon for WW1 with Xs...

Wellllllllllllllllllll.... BUY THEM. Just BUY them. Believe me, when the numbers come out, you won't be able to.

Despite having TWO grades of Cross, stingy, mean, Weimar was giving SILVER General Decorations to Feldwebels and Warrant Officer types, right down to Unteroffizier.

There were 366 Wilhelm Ernst War Crosses, though 1 of those was replaced with diamonds to the only non princely recipient of that special grade. Awards of those are allllllllll over, Landeskinder everywhere. 59 went to members of IR 94 and 14 to members of RIR 94. It's hard to imagine the delicate enamelled crosses being worn in the trenches by enlisted men, but 37 of those 366 were NCOs down to Unteroffizier.

Holy Christmas Rick...that's a lot of good stuff. Cheapstingymiserly is not the word(s)...is there a particular thought or rationale behind it or just cheapmiserlystingy for the hell of it? I mean can it be a matter of some misguided attempt to increase the standinf of the House Order among other states (compared to theirs) or just that they reserved it for their "friends"...

By the way...I know this is certainly a silly question...but where on earth do you get all this info? And if they are references how can I get my hands on them...it's facscinating and I appreciate the knowledge you give...I just feel like I should be learning these history lessons as a collector as well.

Thanks very much

T

Guest Rick Research

Bad Sal, look at the pinned threads I've got the unpublished award rolls from the Seymour-O'Connor-Ludvigsen circle's Unfinished Business left for me to complete. Crossed 1,050 this morning, into 1916 on the Silver Gen Decs X. Ought to be finito by New Years and then it is all up to WHEN (starting to wonder IF) these and the other rolls I've finished are GETTING published.

Bad Sal, look at the pinned threads I've got the unpublished award rolls from the Seymour-O'Connor-Ludvigsen circle's Unfinished Business left for me to complete. Crossed 1,050 this morning, into 1916 on the Silver Gen Decs X. Ought to be finito by New Years and then it is all up to WHEN (starting to wonder IF) these and the other rolls I've finished are GETTING published.

Sir yes sir may I have another!!!!!!!!!

Good point...I shall check the pinned threads before opening my chicklette holder... :lol:

Thanks Rick

T