News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Portugal Kingdom Medal

• 2 months later...

Hi, Yankee

I have no info on the medal itself, but I'm able to shed some light on the events that inspired it.

The plague was in 1857, in Lisbon, caused by Yellow Fever. It is said to have killed 10% of the city's population. Many hospitals were raised, so I believe the medal was targeted at the people that worked there.

History says that Lisbon stopped, people were afraid to leave their houses, streets were empty, shows were closed. Funeral processions were carried out only with priest and digger - well, plague environment all round...

To show its importance, even King D. Pedro V visited somes hospitals, suposedly against the advice of his aides. This would also explain why a medal was issued, as the new liberal kings were very keen to public health.

Also, I found a photograph of King D. Pedro V with the medal, just right of the Order of The Tower and the Sword. Obviously, his Majesty was very proud of it:

D. Pedro V and the 1858 yellow fever medal

Hi, Yankee

I have no info on the medal itself, but I'm able to shed some light on the events that inspired it.

The plague was in 1857, in Lisbon, caused by Yellow Fever. It is said to have killed 10% of the city's population. Many hospitals were raised, so I believe the medal was targeted at the people that worked there.

History says that Lisbon stopped, people were afraid to leave their houses, streets were empty, shows were closed. Funeral processions were carried out only with priest and digger - well, plague environment all round...

To show its importance, even King D. Pedro V visited somes hospitals, suposedly against the advice of his aides. This would also explain why a medal was issued, as the new liberal kings were very keen to public health.

Also, I found a photograph of King D. Pedro V with the medal, just right of the Order of The Tower and the Sword. Obviously, his Majesty was very proud of it:

D. Pedro V and the 1858 yellow fever medal

Hi Jorge

Thanks for the info, every bit helps for there is very little info on this uncommon medal. I was surprised to see King Pedro V to see wearing the medal as you say must have had an active participation in the crisis. I think they were also awarded in gold but that was probably reserved to the King and a few select others. Perhaps awarded in the same conditions as the Hong Kong Plague Medal. There might already be an article out in the Instituto Georgrafico Portugues Museu on the subject, hoping the author will remember to send me out a copy.

Sincerely

Yankee

Hi Jorge

Thanks for the info, every bit helps for there is very little info on this uncommon medal. I was surprised to see King Pedro V to see wearing the medal as you say must have had an active participation in the crisis. I think they were also awarded in gold but that was probably reserved to the King and a few select others. Perhaps awarded in the same conditions as the Hong Kong Plague Medal. There might already be an article out in the Instituto Georgrafico Portugues Museu on the subject, hoping the author will remember to send me out a copy.

Sincerely

Yankee

Yankee,

I'm in the 'business' for a bit over one year, and never saw this medal until I read your post. But now I'm certainly going to find out more in my investigations in the District Archives where they keep the official 'gazette'.

I'm hoping to find a list of people who received this and other medals.

Jorge

• 4 weeks later...

There might already be an article out in the Instituto Georgrafico Portugues Museu on the subject, hoping the author will remember to send me out a copy.

Sincerely

Yankee

Yankee,

I've found the journal where that article is and bought it yesterday. Here is the link where you can see the summary. It was published in 2006.

Jorge