News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Is this badge British?

Hi all,

Got this badge from EvilBay, it was listed as an unknown sweetheart brooch. It is fully marked to the reverse and was made by Fattorini and Sons Birmingham in I think 1928.

I was wondering if the badge was something to do with the British Army??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

Hi all,

Got this badge from EvilBay, it was listed as an unknown sweetheart brooch. It is fully marked to the reverse and was made by Fattorini and Sons Birmingham in I think 1928.

I was wondering if the badge was something to do with the British Army??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

Nice piece of silver, :jumping:C S G = Cold Stream Guards ???? :unsure:

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Hi Dave,

Just my opinion, but this strikes me as being more masonic than military. I did a quick search and the double-headed eagle came up as an emblem of Scottish freemasonry - some of these images are a reasonably close match: http://altreligion.about.com/library/graph...doubleeagle.htm

Hope this helps, let me know what more you discover, as my curiosity has been aroused now!

Cheers

Gilbert

Hi Dave,

Just my opinion, but this strikes me as being more masonic than military. I did a quick search and the double-headed eagle came up as an emblem of Scottish freemasonry - some of these images are a reasonably close match: http://altreligion.about.com/library/graph...doubleeagle.htm

Hope this helps, let me know what more you discover, as my curiosity has been aroused now!

Cheers

Gilbert

Thanks Gilbert!

All are similar but nothing exact.

Fattorini is still in existence so I might give them a bell.

Dave

Apparently there were two Fattorinis in Birmingham, Thomas Fattorini and Fattorini & Sons....relatives so I've been told but completely seperate businesses.

Thomas took over Fattorini and Sons in 1983 and dissolved that company and destroyed the dies. A very nice lady at Thomas Fattorini told me to email the pics of the badge to her and she will show them to the big man himself(Thomas Fattorini) to see if he recognises it...plus she said there are a couple of old employees from Fattorini and Sons working for them so they might know the badge.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Cheers

Gilbert

Hello Dave and Gilbert,

Recently I published a study in the journal of the Belgian Western Front Association about tradition, heraldry and symbolism in British World War I badges. In this way this thread interest me and I would like to learn more, cause I know the study isn't complete, and it never will.

When I look to Eagle, you have one-headed and double headed eagles. I found two badges ( during WWI !) with a double headed eagle. The first was the badge of the 1st King Dragoon Guards which was used till 1915. It has Austrian origins. The second badge was used by the Lanark Yeomanry. It's not the same eagle, but i found that arms on official seals of Salisbury, Perth, Airdale and Lanark also shows a double headed eagle. It's origins came from the Romans.

If no-one of the Fattorini employers knows about the badge, you might look in the direction of Salisbury, Perth or Airdale.

Hope this was helpful,

Jef

Hi Dave,

Cheers

Gilbert

Having gone round this roundabout last month on another list, I'd agree: Masonic, not military. But a very nice piece nevertheless. I believe we have a Masonic thread on this forum too. Maybe they can help.

BTW, the 1st KDG had one of the Austrian emporeres as their honorary colonel, hence their eagle.

My tuppence 'orth

Peter

Just heard back from Fattorinis and they said it's nothing they recognise, they also said the person who might know is away till the New Year. :(

Going on what Gilbert and Peter have suggested I think I'll have a deeper search into masonic symbols, weird rituals and funny handshakes coming up :)

Dave

Going on what Gilbert and Peter have suggested I think I'll have a deeper search into masonic symbols, weird rituals and funny handshakes coming up :)

Dave

Nothing new there for you then. :rolleyes:

Edited by Tony

Whatever the precise subject, it's a nice piece, and knowing Dave he picked it up for a song! Incidentally, I think it may be older than 1928, pre-WW1 in fact. Could you post a detailed pic of the hallmark and I can confirm this at the weekend?

Cheers

Gilbert

Whatever the precise subject, it's a nice piece, and knowing Dave he picked it up for a song! Incidentally, I think it may be older than 1928, pre-WW1 in fact. Could you post a detailed pic of the hallmark and I can confirm this at the weekend?

Cheers

Gilbert

Yeah it was 8 quid. No it's definitely 1928 Gilbert, plus the way the name and address is written also confirms the date. I've been Googling ;)