News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

An upsetting bringback

Paul R

I found this treasure during my deployment overseas. I was initially so upset by the jeering salesman that I almost punched him in the mouth. But, I thought about it and paid the money to the suprised man. The reason I bought it is that it reminded me why I voluteered for the deployment. Also, I wanted something that reflected the mentality of the people we were up against. BTW, I bought this from a street souk in a FRIENDLY country!!

Guest Rick Research

Truly ugly. Much wartime propaganda always has been. But indeed psychologically relevant and for that reason historically important, no matter how repellant.

Historical relevance is something I was thinking about when I picked this up. It has only come out of the box once(to see how it worked). It will never come out again, other than as a conversation piece. I quit smoking last year anyway! :cheeky:

Historical relevance is something I was thinking about when I picked this up. It has only come out of the box once(to see how it worked). It will never come out again, other than as a conversation piece. I quit smoking last year anyway! :cheeky:

Hi Paul,

Very interesting piece. Ugly but a piece of history nonetheless.

On another topic, congrats on quitting smoking! I'm always overjoyed when I hear that someone has... especially folks I care about. My dad smoked from the time he was 12 with few breaks until his death a few years back. He died from N stage lung disease. I grew up in a virtual cloud of smoke... him and most of my relatives and his friends all puffing away with absolutely no concern about how it might affect anyone much less a young child. Today I have asthma which they now feel might be brought on by being around smokers when you're young. Joy! :banger:

Believe you me, this is one of the best things you ever could have done. I pray it adds many years to your life and that you'll be happier as a result. :beer: Not to mention all the money you save to invest in other things... say militaria. :rolleyes:

Dan :cheers:

PaulR, I agree it is a rather disturbing piece . This is simply due to perspective. Afterall, "9-11" was barely 5 years ago. It is still very fresh in the minds and hearts of all in North America. IMO in 20 years or so this piece will no longer be a 'sick reminder' of that days events.

I do find it rather interesting. Thanks for showing this as I never dreamed anything like that would exist.

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone, thank you for your comments. This is a hidden part of my collection. When Friends or even family start bad mouthing our Middle Eastern Campaigns, I break this lighter out and tell them some stories...

I have intentionally refrained from commenting here.

Still, I find it interesting and noteworthy that this thread continues, while http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=13964 was locked.

:unsure:

Ed,

Now that you pointed this out, you are absolutely correct. I do see how the two parallel. This thread is now closed as well.

Thanks. :beer: