An upsetting bringback

I found this treasure during my deployment overseas. I was initially so upset by the jeering salesman that I almost punched him in the mouth. But, I thought about it and paid the money to the suprised man. The reason I bought it is that it reminded me why I voluteered for the deployment. Also, I wanted something that reflected the mentality of the people we were up against. BTW, I bought this from a street souk in a FRIENDLY country!!

Historical relevance is something I was thinking about when I picked this up. It has only come out of the box once(to see how it worked). It will never come out again, other than as a conversation piece. I quit smoking last year anyway! :cheeky:

Historical relevance is something I was thinking about when I picked this up. It has only come out of the box once(to see how it worked). It will never come out again, other than as a conversation piece. I quit smoking last year anyway! :cheeky:

Hi Paul,

Very interesting piece. Ugly but a piece of history nonetheless.

On another topic, congrats on quitting smoking! I'm always overjoyed when I hear that someone has... especially folks I care about. My dad smoked from the time he was 12 with few breaks until his death a few years back. He died from N stage lung disease. I grew up in a virtual cloud of smoke... him and most of my relatives and his friends all puffing away with absolutely no concern about how it might affect anyone much less a young child. Today I have asthma which they now feel might be brought on by being around smokers when you're young. Joy! :banger:

Believe you me, this is one of the best things you ever could have done. I pray it adds many years to your life and that you'll be happier as a result. :beer: Not to mention all the money you save to invest in other things... say militaria. :rolleyes:

Dan :cheers:

PaulR, I agree it is a rather disturbing piece . This is simply due to perspective. Afterall, "9-11" was barely 5 years ago. It is still very fresh in the minds and hearts of all in North America. IMO in 20 years or so this piece will no longer be a 'sick reminder' of that days events.

I do find it rather interesting. Thanks for showing this as I never dreamed anything like that would exist.

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone, thank you for your comments. This is a hidden part of my collection. When Friends or even family start bad mouthing our Middle Eastern Campaigns, I break this lighter out and tell them some stories...

I have intentionally refrained from commenting here.

Still, I find it interesting and noteworthy that this thread continues, while http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=13964 was locked.

:unsure:

Ed,

Now that you pointed this out, you are absolutely correct. I do see how the two parallel. This thread is now closed as well.

Thanks. :beer: