News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I have a question about this new law?

yank44

I collect WWI aviation militaria and purchased some period medals. For example, if I want to be Eddie Rickenbacker for Halloween, am I going to be arrested for trying to impersonate a military officer who fought in a war almost 100 years ago and died in 1973? I am in my thirties and obviously did not fight in WWI, but will I be arrested anyway? By the wording of the law, it says US decorations, not present US decorations. If I wear American Revolution or Civil War medals, I should techinacally be arrested even though they fought in the 18th and 19th century! How far back is this law going to go? If an 18 year old kid is wearing his grandfather's Vietnam service medal to show pride for his grandfather, is he going to be arrested? Have they thought about the age disparity between people who fought and people who are alive today?

rickenbacker3.jpg

Edited by yank44

Hi Yank44,

I don't think the wearing of another man's medals is proper regardless of relationship. I would no sooner wear my father's medals than I would want my own son to wear my "retired" badge. There are many ways to show pride in one's ancestors without the wearing of their medals and awards. I know this is off the topic of the "letter of the law" but I felt I should offer this up as a matter of principal. Whether the law would allow it or not the medals belong to another person for service and deeds they performed.

Perhaps I'm being a bit too stuffy but that's how see it.

Brian

Have they thought about the age disparity between people who fought and people who are alive today?

No, they haven't! They haven't thought of many other aspects either. The worst thing is that they haven't thought the law in the current form will ridicule the very idea of protecting medals. Not only folks dressing up for Halloween, but theoretically also David James Elliott (Harmon Raab) or any other actor playing a military can be arrested. The hell is supposed to be paved with good intentions.

Hi Yank44,

I don't think the wearing of another man's medals is proper regardless of relationship. I would no sooner wear my father's medals than I would want my own son to wear my "retired" badge. There are many ways to show pride in one's ancestors without the wearing of their medals and awards. I know this is off the topic of the "letter of the law" but I felt I should offer this up as a matter of principal. Whether the law would allow it or not the medals belong to another person for service and deeds they performed.

Perhaps I'm being a bit too stuffy but that's how see it.

Brian

I look at it more as a matter of living and breathing history. Most people couldn't care less about this topic and so a little education is in order when I wear my outfit. I always share stories so that their memory can live on, etc. That is all. Kids love it and so on.

I didn't even think about the acting part. Techincally, all actors should be subject to arrest when they play someone in the military from this point on..

Edited by yank44

I look at it more as a matter of living and breathing history. Most people couldn't care less about this topic and so a little education is in order when I wear my outfit. I always share stories so that their memory can live on, etc. That is all. Kids love it and so on.

I didn't even think about the acting part. Techincally, all actors should be subject to arrest when they play someone in the military from this point on..

You make a good point.

Brian

:)