News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

More Masonic Medals

A solid silver Masonic medal(Lodge No.1295) depicting two classical Greek figures,presented to Brother A.E.Tunley.The medal depicts a Greek(holding a vessel of some kind) standing over another figure who is sat down.Above the figures,there is a scroll with the inscription AEGROS SANAT HUMANITAS and above that is a Masonic star.I think the inscription translates as Humanity heals the sick.The back of the medal has the inscription: BRO. A.E.TUNLEY No.1295.The medal has a full set of hallmarks for London 1929/30.There is also a maker's mark - R.J - which I have been unable to identify.The medal weighs 40g.

This medal is named to the same Brother as the one on my other thread.

Guest WAR LORD

I think this jewel is not awarded now. The amount given as over a period. The lodge did not get this jewel.

Hi War Lord,

Many thanks for your reply. Could I ask do you know which hospital this medal was in relation to, or was it any hospital?

Can you recommend any books, which would tell me a about Masonic medals? Is there anything along the lines of the medal year book published?

Gordon.

Guest WAR LORD

The Craft had its own hospital at Finnesbury Park. This again was started after the First World War. It was to care for the Sick of the craft. The nurses were normaly the daughters of Masons. The hospital was closed some years ago and the sick can be looked after in any location. There are no books that I am aware of. Batman Street lodge building has a wonderful collection of jewels. At one time it was sugested I did a book on them. But this never got off the ground. The beauty of these items has been much underestimated as is the rarity of the items.

Guest WAR LORD

If enough interest was generated then I am sure the publisher would undertake the prodject. But as with any book it deepends on how many would be sold. Dose the publisher have confidence. I have many prodjects I would like to do but.

• 2 weeks later...

Check this out, on ebay 7702259154.

Looks smashing, but a bit out of my price range!!!

Blackpool Police and Masonic Medal Group

A job lot of genuine medals etc to a Blackpool Policeman.The Police Medal is a Blackpool Special Constabulary medal fully hallmarked 9ct Gold. This has a top bar for the dates 1914 - 18 and has engraved on the reverse CONSTABLE 415 FOR SERVICES RENDERED E.W.HOUGH. Also has his original Blackpool Special Constable enamelled badge dated 1914 (maker marked Thomas Fattorini Skipton & Bolton).There is a photo showing a large group of Constables taken by Lords , Church St, South Shore, and his metropolitan whistle (in noisy working order) and chain.

Accompanying the police items are his 4 masonic medals. ( 3 are hallmarked silver ). 1 is dated 1914 - 18 and an ornately enamelled one dated 1920. This has a top bar saying FOUNDER 1920 PROGRESS LODGE No 4120. This has a lovely enamelled scene of a Bi Plane flying over an oxen pulling a caravan.(Both are named to Bro E W HOUGH).The enamelled one is in box of issue from Kenning and Son Masonic Jewellers.

There is also an old pocket watch and brass tin showing a scene of Blackpool Tower and its Big Wheel. And last but not least is a 9ct Gold fully hallmarked medal or fob from Sheffield Hippodrome, this is named on the reverse PRESENTED BY MR THOS BARRASFORD AND DIRECTORS TO ERNEST W HOUGH FOR GOOD SERVICE DURING THE ERECTION DEC 23 1907.