News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Sachsen-Meiningen, WWI medal bars with SMK

Rick Research said:
    Oh for those please start a new thread. That would be very nice! I have never seen those before! :jumping::jumping::jumping:

Hmm, I'm sorry, but I thought to have some more, but I had a big data loss two years ago which seems to have taken also some nice bars from my database ... :unsure:

So here are all bars with "Sachsen-Meiningen, Ehrenzeichen für Verdienst im Kriege" that I found on my PC, including also some of members of this forum. If someone doesn't like me to show a bar in his posses here, please contact me to remove these pictures. My apologize to those I cannot name the owner, but I cannot remember anything to every bar. :rolleyes:

First, the 20 place ribbon bar of Friedrich Freiherr von Dincklage-Campe (1839-1918) which used :violent: to belong Heiko:

post-1172-1168183546.jpg

Edited by saschaw

A quite interresting 9 place medal bar that has been sold on Ebay Germany for 346,- Euro:

Seems to be one of those Feldwebels or similar, probably no officer ... :speechless1:

(and I used to think it was not kosher :speechless: )

post-1172-1168184279.jpg

post-1172-1168184287.jpg

post-1172-1168184293.jpg

post-1172-1168184299.jpg

Edited by saschaw

A 5 place bar with the only non-combattant ribbon I have saved. The last ribbon might rather be for an Ottoman War Medal than for the Hamburg Hanseatic Cross ...

post-1172-1168184711.jpg

post-1172-1168184744.jpg

Edited by saschaw

And last but not least: the matching chain, made by Meybauer:

In my humble opinion, the SMK is one of the most attractive awards of World War One ...

:jumping:

post-1172-1168185310.jpg

post-1172-1168185318.jpg

Edited by saschaw

Guest Rick Research

Oh yes. A lot of these are going to be "name-able" when the roll is done and I have also finished the Meiningen Ernestine rolls-- which should be next month.

I just passed 50% of the "SMK" roll today and am just into May 1916. That's right-- a full HALF of the awards had been given in the first year they were available, with 2 1/2 more years to go for the remaining half. That is why I suspect the ZINK ones will turn out to be much rarer than the beautiful chocolate bronze version.

I need to not only finish that last 50% of the roll, but also actually enter the Meiningen Ernestines, but it LOOKS as if Meiningen MIGHT have bestowed one--OR the other., NOT both. And a suspicion grows on me that the 1917-18 Meiningen Ernestine rolls are NOT 'missing," but that awards of the very expensive enamel and silver House Order and its medals simply... faded away for war economy reasons. That will require examining all three Ernestine rolls to see if any can be found in Rank Lists etc which are NOT on the rolls-- and would presumably be "missing" 1917-18 Meiningens.

I've had this one identified to Oberleutnant dR Karl Stracke of Inf Rgt 83 (22. Inf Div-- WWaldeck and Meiningen) from the double Waldeck awards and HHOX:

His name has not turned up yet in the first 50%.

HHOX in the MWB of 26.10.18 (Oberleutnant dR)

Waldeck VK3 X 20.1.15 as Lt dR IR 83

Waldeck VK 4X 3,10,14 ditto

There doesn't seem to be anybody else with double wearable Waldeck Xs and a HHOX. If I don't find Stracke in the SMK roll, then at least I'll go through IR 83 and RIR 83 to see if I can match a "double" with an SMK-- and assume this is a Missing HHOX person.

Couple of weeks and the whole SMK roll will be transcribed. :rolleyes: