News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Vaulted IC 1st class mystery.

Hallo KSG :beer:

With regards your item, a copy or repair to the clasp on a 1957 EK 1 Version??

I add here pictures of a non vaulted 1957 EK 1 in my possesion it measures 44mm X 44mm and has no apparant maker marks, the front silver frame on the top rim as a "o" which leads me to believe it was original manufactured for a II Class award.

The paint is a powdery Satin black, and very evenly applied to the cross.

I will post a shot of the rear next.

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

As Tony suggested, the cross could have been made for a left handed person. It?s an interesting thought. Could there have been made several for left handed?

I got two of them. Vaulted, same frame and same magnetic core. One have been repainted. The reverse shows a slight difference in finish, one is dull and the other more polished. The the pins are the same but there are a small difference on the hooks, one is slightly wider than the other.

Kjell

• 3 months later...

Hallo KSG :beer:

With regards your item, a copy or repair to the clasp on a 1957 EK 1 Version??

I add here pictures of a non vaulted 1957 EK 1 in my possesion it measures 44mm X 44mm and has no apparant maker marks, the front silver frame on the top rim as a "o" which leads me to believe it was original manufactured for a II Class award.

The paint is a powdery Satin black, and very evenly applied to the cross.

I will post a shot of the rear next.

Hi Kevin, spotted this old posting, your EK1 seems to match an early S & L 57, with the early oakleaves and pin arrangement. I have seen others and also have a copy, and if you note, on the top arm, a small circle which comes from the pin that ejects the stamping from the die

Regards

Alex

Edited by Alex K

• 1 year later...

I would imagine it was a "Much beer on a sunday night, early shift on Monday..." made cross.

As someone who likes to mess around with handywork... quite often I put something on wrong.

Especially for 57 pieces, there was no LDO or quality control.

I dont see how a catch the other way would make things easier for lefties?

i seriously doubt they specifically made crosses especially for left-handed people. it's merely a term used to describe the catch. they prolly had a temporary worker putting those things on who wasn't paying too much attention. my cross certainly looks as if an intoxicated person added the gear on the back--look at the positioning of the hinge. a little bit off! haha