News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

The first one is a Prussian M1866, last worn in the 1880s (I think) for an infantry regiment that had yellow underlay. But those are WW2 pips on there, not 19th century ones. Check the holes underneath on the yellow to see if an regimental numbers have been removed.

Second one is some sort of cavalry regiment, and 3rd one is Bavarian J?ger. Quite a few of these never-issued shoulder boards still turn up from old tailors' stocks.

Guest Rick Research

The cavalry one also was never worn--

there is no sign of the tugging around the button hole that insignia which was worn had. Also there are no numbers on the second two boards. Some Prussian Guards regiiments had no numbers or cyphers, but virtually all Imperial German regiments had some sort of number or device:

The second board is for a leutnant of Jager Regiment zu Pferde 2. It appears that the Regimentsnummer "2" has been removed. Although the piping configuration didn't change from the M-1910 boards to the M-1915 boards on JzP regiments, based on the width of the board, I would presume it could be used for either the M-15 Friedensrock or M-15 Kleinerrock.

Regards

Dave

Edited by dwmosher

Gilles and Dave,

As regards the second board, you guys forgot about Garde Nachrichten Ersatz Abteilung. Same exact board as this (and without any number). Authorized in May of 1918 as part of the new uniform for the Nachrichtentruppen.

Chip

Rick,

Very nice Flieger board!

Marcin,

These things do surface from time to time. The key is patience. Just watch ebay and ask other collectors. Most collectors have a parts box with various extra numbers, buttons, etc. What do you need?

Chip

Well, I would need Regimentsnummer "2" bacause it is missing. Anyone could tell me which Regiment used the first (yellow) shoulderboard ?

Regards,

ML.

There were many regiments that used yellow, I don't think there's any way to identify which particular one this belonged to without a number or cypher on the shoulderboard. I believe the 3. Garde-Regt. zu Fu? worn plain yellow shoulderboards with no number or cypher, but I could be mistaken.

Edited by Mike Dwyer

Marcin,

You really don't need a #2 for your board with the red piping, green underlay (as mentioned earlier). Of course, having never been worn, there is a good chance that if it was destined to have a number applied, it just never happened. Adding a #2 would be OK, but why do it if you have a legitimate unit without it?

Without an impression from the original device, it is going to be difficult to tell you what unit your M1866 board is from. Is there any "ghost" at all that you can see?

Chip

Marcin,

I don't mind you asking, but no, I do not have what you need. You could use a bright gilt number on this board. I have a loose #1 and #2, but they are subdued and are meant for officer's field boards. You should be able to find the one you need without too much trouble. I will let you know if I see one.

Chip

• 4 weeks later...

Laurence,

You are correct, you have two wartime enlisted artillery shoulder straps. The gray unpiped version is the pattern normally worn on the "vereinfachte" or simplified M1910 tunic. This pattern was also worn on the early war, light gray overcoat beginning in early 1915. The 201.FAR was part of the 101.Division and spent nearly the entire war on the eastern front. At the end of 1917 the division was broken up and I am not sure where the 201.FAR was sent.

The 16.FAR was from upper Silesia and part of the I.Prussian army corps., 1.Division. It fought on both fronts, including a period at Verdun in the summer of 1916.

Chip