News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ARAB MEDALS -- Iraq

Ed_Haynes

• Replies 96
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice set, Sal. You are right about the ribbons, but, still, . . . :cheers:

Thanks Ed.....I appreciate it. You know I was holding off and the Uncle always was asking me to buy it....I knew it was too much but after so many times going to see him, I figured what the heck. if nothing else its interesting. He's still sellling many good items but well above the value......but is a hard one to bargain with. Gotta catch him on a good day. I asked him what he's going to do when I buy all the medals? He just laughed....so I hold off on them because it allows me to go see him.......I get a kick out of him and his son trying to tell me what they are for. 80% of the time they are right...the other 20 they just are making something up....but they're creative at least....2 good guys and fun to haggle with.

Were miniatures prevelant at any point on the uniform? I don't recall seeing any in any of the pictures I have been able to look at nor have I seen any mounted for wear like British or US miniatures...

• 1 month later...

I'm a little uncomfortable with posting images of items not in my collection, but as this and the following image were sent to me by the family of the recipient, I guess (hope?) it is OK.

Order of King Faisal I

Awarded for outstanding military and civilian services. Became obsolete with the Revolution.

Established: 1932

Obverse: A nine-armed gold cross, enameled white. In the center, the gold bust of King Faisal I surrounded by a legend. Suspended by an open-work crown. Manufactured by Huguenin (Le Locle, Switzerland). Believed also to have been manufactured by Garards (London, England), ca. 1935-58 and by Arthus Bertrand (Paris, France) before 1935.

Reverse: Plain.

Ribbon: Pale blue with broad reddish-brown edges.

Outline:

-- first class ? sash, sash badge, and breast star (shown)

-- second class

-- third class

Edited by Ed_Haynes

I'm a little uncomfortable with posting images of items not in my collection, but as this and the following image were sent to me by the family of the recipient, I guess (hope?) it is OK.

Order of King Faisal I

Awarded for outstanding military and civilian services. Became obsolete with the Revolution.

Established: 1932

Obverse: A nine-armed gold cross, enameled white. In the center, the gold bust of King Faisal I surrounded by a legend. Suspended by an open-work crown. Manufactured by Huguenin (Le Locle, Switzerland). Believed also to have been manufactured by Garards (London, England), ca. 1935-58 and by Arthus Bertrand (Paris, France) before 1935.

Reverse: Plain.

Ribbon: Pale blue with broad reddish-brown edges.

Outline:

-- first class ? sash, sash badge, and breast star (shown)

-- second class

-- third class

Ed,

A beautiful piece and one of the scarcest of Arab awards. I would also include in this category the Order of Idris of Lybia, the medals of the Order of Mohammed Ali of Egypt, the Saeedee Order of Oman and the Royal Yemeni Order designed by Bichay - I believe only one proof piece of the latter was ever made. Ah well, I can but dream.

Keep up the good work,

Regards,

Owain.

• 2 months later...

Medal for the 14 Ramadan Revolution, 1963

Ed posted as part of the main body of the thread, but he pointed out something interesting to me about this one. This particular one is not Swiss made as many of the Iraqi awards were. It is unmarked but of good quality.....I believe an Iraqi made variation of the medal. It is pretty clear and crisp in the details but missing any maker marks. Thought it would be an interesting post as an example of a very good quality Iraqi made variation vice the later substandard made pieces under the embargo years. Thanks to Ed for validating this one for me.

• 3 months later...

Dear Ed,

Some 30 years ago I got this poster in Baghdad. It displays Hassan al-Bakr, and you will notice curious collar he is wearing. Do you have any idea what that might be?

Yours,

Dragomir

I will pay you top dollar if you want to sale the poster$$$$$

Thank you

God Bless

SSG Luna, Lorenzo

Dear Ed,

Some 30 years ago I got this poster in Baghdad. It displays Hassan al-Bakr, and you will notice curious collar he is wearing. Do you have any idea what that might be?

Yours,

Dragomir

HASSAN AL-BAKR: is wearing the Iraq Republic Iraq Rafidain.

Here is a picture advertsement of the award:

• 9 months later...

Hi Ed

Any information on the manufacturer of these? I have 2...the exact type you have pictured and another (below) that looks less refined but is still fairly well made. Higher relief on the central area and a smooth back...ribbon though...

Curious if there were several manufacturers and who they miht be...or if the one I have attached is Iraqi made. It does not look crude like some of the ones you see in the 1990s and later..Thanks for any info.

Tony

Tony,

There were two versions of the 1980-1988 Iraqi-Iranian War Wound Medal made and the differences from the regular type is :

Different Arabic letter(Jihm) on the obverse side.

Different hanging ring(larger).

Different red color for the medal (lighter) and for the ribbon(darker).

Different surface shape(smooth) instead of (grained) on the reverse side.

Different hanging pin.

The different type of Wound Medal was the first type used in the early 1980's while the regular type was the second type which was used later. I received this information from my friend in Iraq. I also have both Medals in my collection.

Bob

Tony,

There were two versions of the 1980-1988 Iraqi-Iranian War Wound Medal made and the differences from the regular type is :

Different Arabic letter(Jihm) on the obverse side.

Different hanging ring(larger).

Different red color for the medal (lighter) and for the ribbon(darker).

Different surface shape(smooth) instead of (grained) on the reverse side.

Different hanging pin.

The different type of Wound Medal was the first type used in the early 1980's while the regular type was the second type which was used later. I received this information from my friend in Iraq. I also have both Medals in my collection.

Bob

That pritty much sums it up for the 2 types, thank you for sharing:

Lorenzo

Nice to have this all in one place again, Ed!! Thank you!!!

I know your views on "exile awards" but for completeness would note 1970s Iraqi Royalist grants of the al Rafadhain and Faisal I Orders. These not by the usually accepted potential pretender Prince Ra'ad ( Prince Ziad's son) or "Sharif Ali" but by Razi Faisal (purported oldest son of Prince Ziad) out of London and Tehran. At one time I heard that "Sharif Ali" planned to dish out Orders but no confirmation he ever did.

Iraq (Republic)

Order of the Republic (Military) 1st Class

Regulation Number 27 of 1959

Manufactured by:Huguenin (Le Locle, Switzerland)

Very Rare

Edited by IMHF

Hi, it's the "Order of the Republic" not Qassim. Nice piece!

Owain

PS. The reverse inscription has slipped by 90 degrees - the date should be at the bottom.

Owain

Can you use my Order of The Republic in your artical on the Kassum Orders and medals in the JOMSA??

Thank you

Lorenzo

Edited by IMHF

Fascinating, Bob. :jumping::jumping: Is there documentation for this??

Ed,

I contacted my friend in Iraq and asked him if there was any documentation for this medal variation. Here is his reply. " I don't have and can't give you any proof of those different medals. I got these informations by experience along the years either by dealing with Iraqi medals or had these informations from other older dealers here. In general, the medal establish with a special law and in this law the medal's shape and details listed in it,so the first type found,later and when more quantity needed the new order will prepare ( sometimes from different manufacturing company ) and mostly in this new order some differences may occur on the medal's shape and no new law establish with these differences".

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

Ed,

I contacted my friend in Iraq and asked him if there was any documentation for this medal variation. Here is his reply. " I don't have and can't give you any proof of those different medals. I got these informations by experience along the years either by dealing with Iraqi medals or had these informations from other older dealers here. In general, the medal establish with a special law and in this law the medal's shape and details listed in it,so the first type found,later and when more quantity needed the new order will prepare ( sometimes from different manufacturing company ) and mostly in this new order some differences may occur on the medal's shape and no new law establish with these differences".

Bob

Fellow collectors,

I have information on three other Iraqi medals that are variations but no information other than from my friend in Iraq that they are variations ( see above ). I have been debating about posting the information and would like some feed back on whether to post it or not. Thank you.

Bob

Medal for the 14 Ramadan Revolution, 1963

Ed posted as part of the main body of the thread, but he pointed out something interesting to me about this one. This particular one is not Swiss made as many of the Iraqi awards were. It is unmarked but of good quality.....I believe an Iraqi made variation of the medal. It is pretty clear and crisp in the details but missing any maker marks. Thought it would be an interesting post as an example of a very good quality Iraqi made variation vice the later substandard made pieces under the embargo years. Thanks to Ed for validating this one for me.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_07_2007/post-1625-1183379859.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_07_2007/post-1625-1183380030.jpg

Tony,

My friend in Iraq has sent me some information on your medal for the 14th of Ramadan Revolution,1963.

There are two types of this medal. One is the normal type Swiss made by Huguenin ( stamped at the lower side of the reverse side of the medal ), and the other is either Iraqi or Egyptian made.

Differences of the other type:

1- Darker colors of the medals enamel.

2- Stars on Iraqi Flag are thicker.

3- Thicker letters of the (Iraqi republic) words at the upper side of the obverse side of the medal.

4- The manufactured country and company unstamped on the reverse side of the medal.

Bob