News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Chinese Dragon Sword

Hauptmann

I don't have a source for this - long since lost the book - but the back of my mind is saying "Malaysia / Indonesia", based on the shape of the blade and the very square scabbard. Are you sure it's Chinese? Also, the handle looks like it would be very hard to hold for any useful work, so I'm guesing it's a souvenir piece, not a pukka weapon. Still very classy looking, though.

My tuppence worth.

Peter

I don't have a source for this - long since lost the book - but the back of my mind is saying "Malaysia / Indonesia", based on the shape of the blade and the very square scabbard. Are you sure it's Chinese? Also, the handle looks like it would be very hard to hold for any useful work, so I'm guesing it's a souvenir piece, not a pukka weapon. Still very classy looking, though.

My tuppence worth.

Peter

Hi Peter,

You are right on the money. In my youth (long since past) I have owned several of these pieces and they are indeed made for the tourist trade though they are quite impressive.

Regards

Brian

Hi Gents,

Thanks to all of you for all the info and your great comments. I must admit that the young boy in me was hoping for a confirmation of this being something special from the days of Imperial China. As a boy I'd always thought it was a Chinese executioners sword. Boys will be boys eh? Has to be some adventure and can't just be something as bland as a tourist souvenir. :P But it is good the know the truth of the matter.

I will say, this thing has to be older than the hills. It was terribly old when I first saw it as a young boy as part of my dads collection. No idea when it was made but it's got to go back there a ways.

Again many thanks for all the help on this and at least it seems to have given a bit of entertainment which makes it all worthwhile. :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Dan wrote:

"I must admit that the young boy in me was hoping for a confirmation of this being something special from the days of Imperial China. As a boy I'd always thought it was a Chinese executioners sword."

Dan

Keep it and tell the kids it IS a Chinese exectutioner's sword: "Yep, that's the very sword I wus executed with back in '06! Twice! Kept it as a souvenir 'cause they were so impressed with me they swore never to use it again." :rolleyes:

Peter