News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Cap stars

kimj

Here is from Den:

Могли и вот так использовать , как М.В.Фрунзе.

Как гласит приказ по Флоту и Морскому ведомству №773 от 18 ноября 1918 года. Подписанный членом коллегии Народного комиссариата по морским делам и членом РВСР Ф.Ф.Раскольниковым .

?Ввиду того, что матросской одеждой прикрываются нередко развращенные элементы вплоть до контрреволюционных бунтовщиков, приказываю распространить на военных моряков революционную воинскую кокарду "Красная звезда с плугом и молотом". Отныне ношение ее бывшим матросам, не входящим в состав советских вооруженных сил, строжайше воспрещается; отныне революционный знак - Красная Звезда является внешним выражением единства красного флота и красной армии. После выхода этого приказа, ?Красная звезда? могла носиться военными моряками на головном уборе, на обмундировании (на левой стороне груди) и, по желанию, в петлице гражданского платья (для тех лиц, которые числились по Народному Комиссариату по Морским делам).

------------------------------------------------------------------------

And a lousy e-translation (but one can "get the point"):

As the order on Fleet and Sea department №773 from November, 18th, 1918 says. Signed by a member of board of the National commissariat on sea affairs and member РВСР of F.F.Raskolnikovym.

? Whereas the sailor's clothes cover quite often corrupted elements down to counterrevolutionary rebels, order to distribute to military seamen a revolutionary military cocarde " the Red star with a plough and ground ".

Henceforth carrying to its former sailors who are not a part of the Soviet armed forces, is more strict it is forbidden; henceforth the revolutionary sign - the Red Star is external expression of unity of red fleet and red army. After an output of this order, ? the Red star ? could rush military seamen on a headdress, on regimentals (on the left party of a breast) and, at will, in a buttonhole of a civil dress (for those persons who were registered on the National Commissariat on Sea affairs).

Stewart, he also said to take some better photos; A super macro(s) where the stud meets the reverse of the star, the obverse, and the reverse of the nut. Also, if you measure the thread and pitch of the stud and report your findings, that would be a great help. I believe another guy stated that the stud and nut should not be metric....

Interesting photo of Val Kilmer..

I'll take some close ups tomorrow in daylight, and measure the post too.

I would be very happy to find it to be a breast badge from the revolution!

But as we know in Russia they fake one or two things these days..

I should say he resembles Mr Kilmer!

Here are the close ups.

The screwpost measures around 3mm in diameter. My order of the Red star srew plate is slightly too big for it, and a Soviet divers badge one is too small. It's hard to measure precisely, but i'd say 3mm.

Missed this thread earlier. Can never say I look much at anything other than decorations but I am impressed by the absolute sheer number of cap stars!!! Impressive and compact as a collection.

Interestig indeed!

Jim

Thanks Jim... These little guys are one of my obsessions...

Stewart, I sent the most recent images to Den. He asked for a super-macro of the hammer & plow motif, and also wants to know if the star itself is of steel or tin (in other words, if it is drawn to a magnet)...

Don't we all branch off with our hobby!?

It doesn't appear to be magnetic, the only magnet in my house is my guitar pickup..

I'll get the close up of the front in the morning in daylight, I also need to charge my camera.

Thanks for asking Den, Richie, this is turning out to be an interesting mystery!

OK Stewart, now you need to measure the thickness of the star's body. Do you own, or have access to an accurate precision measuring device? Also, how are your fairing on a black light to test the enamel?

These are Den asking these questions.

I don't have a blacklight yet, but I'd be very surprised if it was the original enamel.

The star is JUST over 1mm thick.

What does Den think it is so far?

Here is the final analysis from Den Stoo:

"On this star there are complexities, the plough is very well executed, in accuracy as on original stars. All rest does not inspire trust.

At my side there are two more very good experts on stars with a plough, but they have not stated the opinion.

I can consult to them at a meeting, but is assured, that they will tell too most, as I."

In any case, as far as this one is concerned; "It is what it is" as I always say...

If any further enlightment is transferred to me, you can be certain that I will post it here.

Here is another interesting piece that I do not own, but had the opportunity to photograph recently. I have never seen the likes of this type before with it's seemingly multi-piece construction.

It would have been interesting to see the reverse, but the delicacy of its leather cap host and the rusty tin attaching prongs prohibited that...

• 1 year later...