News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1797 Defender's of the Fatherland Medal

Jaybo

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen,

For you Austrian orders and medals 'experten', could you please tell me what this particular medal was awarded for and what its correct ribbon was? Thank you.

Jaybo

I am not an 'experten' by any means but I do have an interest in these medals as I have one. Try this website:

http://www.antiquesatoz.com/napoleon/ausnapms.htm

The following info is taken from that site.

There are two versions and these in turn come in various sizes and metals based on the rank of the reciepient. Both medals look enough alike that I have to read the inscription to figure out which one I am viewing.

Tyrolian Mobilization Medal of 1797

Founded by Emperor Francis in 1797 for those members of the Tyrolian volunteer contingent who served in the keeping the Tyrol free from the French army. Given in large gold, for highest officers, gold for officers and silver for soldiers. The large gold are very rare and the gold ones rare. Suspended from a ribbon through a circular eye. The silver medal is much commoner than that of 1796 so many more Tyrolians must have responded to the mobilization call.

Ribbon: Three black and two gold equal stripes with thin gold edging.

ausrib36.gif

Size: Large gold and silver, 39 mm; small gold 35mm.

Obverse: Profile bust of Francis wearing a laurel wreath and facing right. Circumference inscription: "FRANZ II R. K. ERZH. ZU OEST. GEG. GRAF VON TYROL", and below and smaller the designers name "I. N. WIRT. F.".

Reverse: Within a laurel wreath tied at the bottom, on six lines: "DEN / TAPFERN VERTHEIDIGERN / DES / VATERLANDS / MDCCXCVII".

Lower Austrian Mobilization Medal of 1797

Given to those able bodied men who answered the national emergency mobilization call of Count Saurau in Lower Austria. These troops were formed into free corps called Landesstande. The medal was, on paper, awarded in five types: gold for highest officers, largest silver for officers, large silver for underofficers, silver for soldiers and black cast iron for non-combattants. The iron medal has never been seen and the soldier's silver medal is also unknown and probably not issued. The gold medal, given to Count Saurau, the Duke of Wurttemburg (as commander of the troops) and high district and government officials is very rare. Almost all medals known are the largest and the large silver. Suspended by a ribbon from a circular eye.

Ribbon: Half dark rose half white.

ausrib05.gif

Size: Gold and silver 37 mm, largest silver 41 mm, Large silver and black iron 39mm.

Obverse: Bust of Francis wearing a laurel wreath and facing right. Circumference inscription: "FRANZ II. ROM. KAI. ERZHERZOG ZU OESTERREICH" and smaller on the bottom edge: "I. N. WIRT. F.".

Reverse: Within an oak wreath tied at the bottom, on eight lines: "DEN / BIEDEREN / SOEHNEN / OESTERREICHS / DES / LANESVATERS / DANK / MDCCXCVII".

The following are pictures of my well worn example. Please excuse the flash. I took this before I knew better. Mine, obviously, is the second type and with digital calipers I consistently measure 37.5mm given the wear, I assume that means it used to be the 39mm silver.

Mine measures 37.5mm using digital calipers so I assume it started as the 39mm version. I like the antiquated style suspension loop, which appears to me to be an intigral loop of metal hammered flat, but I don't know how they were in practice worn with the ribbons. It is my understanding that the Austrian style Trifold ribbon didn't come into being until the middle of the century?

Mine measures 37.5mm using digital calipers so I assume it started as the 39mm version. I like the antiquated style suspension loop, which appears to me to be an intigral loop of metal hammered flat, but I don't know how they were in practice worn with the ribbons. It is my understanding that the Austrian style Trifold ribbon didn't come into being until the middle of the century?