News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Lanyard

Jef

There is no lanyard for the order of the Royal Lion, Crown order and the order of Leopold II

The Lanyard of the Order of the African Star was for the collonial troops. The Belgian Soldiers who got the Commomeration Medal of the colonial war 1914-1917 where allowed to whear this Lanyard.

So the posibility exist that some belgian military who had been in the colonie ant the yser front got the Lanyard of the order of Leopold our War cross and the one of the African Star.

The combination of two lanyard is probably a fantasy, i ddin't find some information about it.

Hello Lukasz,

The idea of mixing orders in one fourrag?re may have blown over from France ... in any case, there's a "tradition" there even to the point of mixing various ribbons on one single medal :rolleyes:

No more Belgian fourrag?res than the ones mentioned in previous posts ...

Cheers,

Hendrik

Hello all,

Thank you Guy for the clearing answers.

Lukasz, thank you for the list of fourrag?res linked to an order or medal. I will print the list out and put it to my files.

Hendrik, sorry if I upset you with my attempt to create new fourrag?res. It is a mix of existing fourrag?res, and I could not imagine the website of the Museum of the Belgian Army would publish "probably fantasy" or official "non-existing" fourrag?res amongst the official ones.

But I learned a lot about this topic, thank you all.

with kind regards, :beer::beer:

Jef

• 3 weeks later...

(...) I have an idea: let's make a list all fourrageres/lanyards awarded for gallantry or meritorious service. My proposals are as follows:

France - fourrageres to:

1. Legion d'Honneur

2. Medaille militaire

3. Croix de Guerre WWI

4. Croix de Guerre TOE

5. Croix de Guerre WWII

(...)

Lukasz

For France, there also is a fourrag?re for the Ordre de la Lib?ration.

Cheers.

Ch.

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding Royal Romanian laynards, the blue fourragere with red stripes is for the Order of the Star and the red fourragere with blue stripes (Actually Rasberry red or purple red in color) is for the Order of Michael the Brave. The Auction is incorrect in matching up Brevets certificates to the laynards.

What is your source for identifying the red fourragere with blue stripes as that for the Order of Michael the Brave? The book by Safta and collaborators on Romanian war decorations states that the red fourragere with blue stripes was that of the Military Virtue Medal, while that of the Order of Michael the Brave was dark red with gold stripes.

Anyhow, it is clear that the pairing in one of the sets above is wrong.

This is all quite interesting.

There seem to be 2 sorts of 'shoulder ornaments' going around, those which are used to denote a unit distinction of some kind and those which are regimental in nature.

In the British Army, some regiments have one as a regimental distinction. It's just part of the uniform - for example, sergeants and above in the Cheshire Regiment wore a dull red one on the left shoulder. This was a single loop right around the arm with a little noose, the loose end being attached to the button on the left breast pocket... a bit of a problem for me as in those days the female No.2 Dress tunic didn't have breast pockets! Just to confuse things, as an internal and more unofficial thing, Cheshire soldiers who had passed the Regular Radio User course wore a white lanyard on the right shoulder, a bit more fancy, braided thing.

Unit distinctions come as Battle Honours (borne on the Colours & the Drums) or very rarely as specific badges, but it is rare for a medal to be awarded to a unit rather than an individual - a George Cross to the Royal Irish Regiment is the only one which comes to mind right now.

I cannot recall any UK regiment wearing a foreign... er, I think there's an Orange Lanyard knocking around in the ancestry of what was the Queen's Regiment but I do not think it is still worn by the current regiment. And a couple of US Presidential Unit Citations, which are worn as a sleeve badge rather than in US fashion over the right breast pocket.

This is all quite interesting.

There seem to be 2 sorts of 'shoulder ornaments' going around, those which are used to denote a unit distinction of some kind and those which are regimental in nature.

In the British Army, some regiments have one as a regimental distinction. It's just part of the uniform - for example, sergeants and above in the Cheshire Regiment wore a dull red one on the left shoulder. This was a single loop right around the arm with a little noose, the loose end being attached to the button on the left breast pocket... a bit of a problem for me as in those days the female No.2 Dress tunic didn't have breast pockets! Just to confuse things, as an internal and more unofficial thing, Cheshire soldiers who had passed the Regular Radio User course wore a white lanyard on the right shoulder, a bit more fancy, braided thing.

Unit distinctions come as Battle Honours (borne on the Colours & the Drums) or very rarely as specific badges, but it is rare for a medal to be awarded to a unit rather than an individual - a George Cross to the Royal Irish Regiment is the only one which comes to mind right now.

I cannot recall any UK regiment wearing a foreign... er, I think there's an Orange Lanyard knocking around in the ancestry of what was the Queen's Regiment but I do not think it is still worn by the current regiment. And a couple of US Presidential Unit Citations, which are worn as a sleeve badge rather than in US fashion over the right breast pocket.

Megan,

When I was in Albania in 1997 there was a British unit which wore the blue UN lanyard as a permanent part of their uniform, I just tried to finds pictures, but I don't have anything that shows a unit badge (they all were bare-headed, so no barets either).

I have no files of an Orange Lanyard awarded to British units!!! Do you by any chance have more info on this subject?

Gr.,

Erik

Hi all,

This seems the place to post this. Just found it in our local thrift store yesterday. I'm assuming it's French for the Croix de Guerre but I'm far from an expert so figured I'd pop it here for some opinions on what it is and just out of sheer curiosity any worth it might have. It's in super condition and looks very complete.

And now without further ado... the pics:

Thanks! :beer:

Dan :cheers:

• 4 weeks later...

Lanyards exist for the (South) Vietnamese National Order of Merit and Military Medal, whether official or not. 1980 era photos show Mobutu with one, perhaps denoting the Leopard of Zaire.

• 4 years later...

Hauptman , your fourrage is for the ww1 croix de guerre , but US made ..so meant for a US unit awarded the rights to wear it .

.A fourragere no one mentioned here yet is the one for the belgian 'vuurkruis' or croix de feu .. two tassels and red coloured .

French army the only one AFAIK that combined fourrageres ..theres plenty of examples to be found on google of combined versions ..

In general Belgian fourrageres (or nestels) have two tassels , french are single tasseled ..only combined ones are doubled.

The dutch orange cord , red cord and the invasion cord dont have tassels attached at all because those arent related to a medal ,just a honorary title .

regards Henk