News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

"N" Iron Cross, 1st Class, 1939

Here's an unusual cross from my collection. Turns out to be an "N" maker marked (on the pin as you will soon see) cross. "N" was apparently an Imperial manufacturer. Regardless, I would love to hear your thoughts, gentlemen. . .

Panzer57,

The only "11" maker mark I have is on a 2nd Class cross, which is pictured below. As you can see this example, as well as the 1st Class examples, the fonts are quite different from the maker mark on the 1st Class cross shown above. The only maker marked Gro?mann's in 1st class I have seen are marked with their characteristically styled "11" below the clasp, so I thought this example may be a variant, insofar as it was marked on the pin. A closer inspection with my trusty 30x magnifier, and consulting with other more experienced collectors, confirmed this is, in fact, an "N" and not an "11", and, as aformentioned, "N" was a manufacturer of Imperial Iron Croses. I thought it quite interesting to see a "1939" issue cross with an Imperial pin, hinge, and clasp configuration.

Edited by Bill Garvy