News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

This is an interesting order with some variations ( Letter on the upper arm till 1864 ), year date from 1914-1918,

no oak leaf wreath for foreigners and so on.

Also this order was given in all 3 Saxe duchies ( Saxe-Meiningen, Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, Saxe-Altenburg )

I've been trying to get as many images and info about this order and found very nice things in these

3 places :

1) The Dave Danner site http://home.att.net/%7Edavid.danner/militaria.html

( in German States - Saxe-Meiningen )

2) The medalnet site http://www.medalnet.net/ ( in various places )

3) In this place : ( anybody knows who it belongs to and if it's trust worthy ? )

http://www.netdialogue.com/yy/Europe/Germa...rmanyStates.htm

( in Saxe-Coburg-Gotha )

There still lots of things I'd like to know about this order, here are some of them :

- Who is Ernestine ? ( is it Ernst the Dutch of Coburg-Gotha ? )

- I'd like to see how the Gold and Silver Merit Medals look like ( and some more images

of the Merit cross would be great too )

- Are the little holes/pipes on the enamel for the letter or year date to attach are all the

way to the other side of the medal or just half way ?

- Would also love to see some more images of this order, all classes, if possible to see

cased medals too, ribbon bars, medal bars . . .

- What is written on the medal and what it means

- Any other info you can share

Thank you and best regards,

Ran

Edited by Ran

• Replies 74
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ran,

Some informations about this beautiful order. It came from the volume 5 of O'Connor about Aviation awards of Imperial Germany and the men who earned them.

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=688

In this link you can find all the books I have (I have got some about this subject). Let me know if you want more (give me a pm).

Regards

Christophe

I have got only one case for the knight cross 2nd class with X of Saxe Coburg Gotha. Like This medal is my favorite, I collect every ribbon bars which contains Saxe Ernestine ribbon. I will show yo some parts of my collection.

Regds

Christophe

Hi Deruelle, this is an amazing amount of books you have there . . .

And that cased knight cross 2nd class, it's too beautiful, any chance to see it open ?

Keep them images coming ( especialy the beautiful white falcon )

Thanks and best regards,

Ran

I collect mostly merit crosses and merit medals, but I do have a Saxe-Meiningen Merit Medal with the sword bar for 1914. It is one of my favorite medals and I think the sword bar is a lot rarer than the pricing guide would have you believe.

Deruelle, this cased award is too beautiful, thanks for the extra images and for the explanation.

Joemiller, thanks for the images, now I know how the merit medal look like. Is it the same

way it looks also for the other Saxe duchies ( only with different typing and maybe image ? )

Deruelle, this cased award is too beautiful, thanks for the extra images and for the explanation.

Joemiller, thanks for the images, now I know how the merit medal look like. Is it the same

way it looks also for the other Saxe duchies ( only with different typing and maybe image ? )

The other two duchies medals are smaller in diameter (Saxe-Altenburg-33mm and Saxe-Coburg Gotha-30mm). Altenburg only had plain swords for World War One awards and Coburg-Gotha had dates on the sword bar that varied but followed the format of 1914/5. I have examples of these other states merit medals.