News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

PAKISTAN -- Tamgha-i-Diffa, 1948--

Ed_Haynes

Hi Larry,

I would be interested in seeing the group. From the looks of your photos I'd say it was genuine so whether the medal "doubled up" is to regs. or not matters little (IMO) as it was no doubt done at the request of the soldier.

Regards

Brian

• 4 years later...

Hi,

New to forum but during all my searches for medals online, only ever seen the Tamgha-i-Diffa medal with Siachen Glacier clasp as a soldered suspension item and I have viewed hundreds over the past few years.

Recent sales on eBay (America) several have had the clasp Manipur, which I presume is a more recent addition to this medal.

Regards,

Duncan.

Hello Duncan

Welcome to the forum

I have never seen one with the swivel mount either. I do believe that the solid suspension is the "official" issue.

I would be interested in seeing pictures of those.....the Manipur clasps that is..

Cheers

Larry

Edited by Laurence Strong

Interesting indeed.  According to an earlier post by Ed Haynes - who would know - and a quick scout round ebay, the 'MANIPUR'  bar is actually for the Samanya Seva medal, not the Tanggh.  It was awarded for counter terrorism operations in 1980, according to this old post on our site: 

Odd that the bar appears on this medal, but then medals from the sub-continent abound in oddities: tailors copies, wearing two of the same, wrong ribbons and so on.  Intriguing.

Edited by peter monahan

The $64 question with South asian stuff!  It seems as if tailor's copies are widely accepted, if not for wear in uniform then for retired servicemen, and it wouldn't be the first time a veteran has worn a 'bar' he/she felt entitled to, either copied from an issue device or made up out of whole cloth.  In fact, there are now a large number of 'bars' for WWII actions - 'Normandy' and 'D-Day' come to mind - made up for those who feel the government SHOULD have issued such things and worn on various devices by veterans.  So, you pays your money and you takes your choice!

Hi,

New to forum but during all my searches for medals online, only ever seen the Tamgha-i-Diffa medal with Saichen Glacier clasp as a soldered suspension item and I have viewed hundreds.

Recent sales on eBay (America) several have had the clasp Manipur, which I presume is a recent addition to this medal.

I'm sorry was late at night and only had a quick glance when checking ebay. When I checked again the next day, to take a snapshot of it, it was indeed a medal from India not Pakistan.

My apology,

Duncan.