It looks like an ornament - something to sit on a side table and catch dust! The Borough of Putney is a district in south-west London, so presumably this is a souvenit of that place, although I'm not sure why. Perhaps that is where the first tanks were manufactured?

Peter

I've seen these before and often though that they were a odd topic for an item to be made out of china. I can't help with the history of the item but it is interesting to look at a WW I tank and think that when this piece was manufactured such tanks were the leading edge of military technology. Compaired with today's tanks they were lumbering targets for the German gunners. I think the Germans called them "Tommy Roasters". But still they were the Stealth Bombers of their day.

Cheers

Brian

These were sold as souvenirs, produced during WWI by firms such as "Goss" & "Arcadia".

Prior to WWI these ornaments had been produced in a multitude of non-military subjects, they were the sort of thing that you'd buy as a souvenir of a holiday, with the city or town coat of arms on.

During the Anglo-Boer War representations of cannon shells etc were produced.

Amongst the many other military items produced were machine gunners, busts of Lord Kitchener, & I think grenades.

Tanks are amongst the most popular subjects nowadays, but as with all of these souvenir ceramics condition is paramount, & value & desirability to a collector also depends on the manufacturer & the coat of arms displayed on the piece.

I have a book on these somewhere, I have'nt seen it for years, I think it's called "Take Me Back To Blighty". If I can find it we can find out more about this specific tank.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a British MkIV "Tadpole" c. mid-1917, so named for it's extended rear end designed to improve trench-crossing capabilities.

See lot no. 295 in this auction list from 2005, reserve price ?17.50; sounds like your Tank- is yours about 114mm long?

http://www.gosscollectorsclub.org/auctions/september06.htm

Edited by Ken MacLean