News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Wild Card, a beautiful miniature, respect!

Perhaps you'll be able to help me a little with your knowledge about these early miniatures. I recently got this one, I assume it's from Hessen, but I cannot find out exactly what it is, and from which part of Hessen - apart from the obvious text; .... Leipzig 1813. Any info on this one?

Regards, Lars

5941b146b7a0c_Leipzig1813.jpg.073a77e1c5651868c4926c666928cb38.jpg

Nice catch Lars! Is the mini silver or gilded, difficult to tell from the image. Here are a few more of the same type, the non-portable medal is Crownprince Karl (Karl XIV 1818). I also found one mini in my files dedicated specifically for him.

ldo 44244.jpg

DSC_0004-2.jpg

DSC_0005-2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Uwe and Peter, thank you for your comments, and sorry for this late reply.

Uwe, after having spent some time on the net I understand that these "Siegespfennig" would be private purchases to commemorate a certain event, and should not be confused with miniature medals although they have the size and appereance as such, is this correct. Or would they be worn together with other miniature decorations?

Lars

• 2 weeks later...
    • 5 weeks later...

This just arrived from Oz.  It appears to be a variation of the Lifesaving Medal awarded by the Bavarian Free State from 1931-1934 (more of a Weimar piece than Imperial, I know) although, the design is a bit different than the photo in Nimmergut.  It is well struck and appears to be silver.  The ribbon is correct for that award.  Any thoughts?

BavLSa.JPG

BavLSb.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Another Bavarian chain from Weiss & Co which recently landed in my collection. Most of the miniatures are rather common items but I'd like to get some info on the "Ehrenkreuz des Ludwigsordens für 50 Dienstjahre" which were awarded from 1827-1916. I have not really been able to find any info on this one in the sources I have, I did find one in gold in an older Thies catalogue (the Blass collection) valued quite expensive which could indicate that this is quite rare. Would any have some info on award numbers etc on this one? It's a rather nice fire gilded miniature, this didn't came out well in the scan.

Enjoy!

Lars

59a5d93ba2d51_Bayern1forGMIC.thumb.jpg.345ddafdaae9d238636daae36cc26a5c.jpg

59a5d93cc27cc_Bayern2forGMIC.thumb.jpg.892315b684a7f2d7667fefd5e09cb68a.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
    34 minutes ago, lew said:

Got this one recently.

1.jpg

2.jpg

What a nice bavarian chain.
    This must be avery high official. He got the order of the bavarian crown, knightscross.
    So he could change his name in "Ritter von" (knight of).
    The Michaelsorden will be the trhird class and the Luitpoldmedal ist the silverclass.
    That looks very fine.

On 29.8.2017 at 23:16, larsb001 said:

Another Bavarian chain from Weiss & Co which recently landed in my collection. Most of the miniatures are rather common items but I'd like to get some info on the "Ehrenkreuz des Ludwigsordens für 50 Dienstjahre" which were awarded from 1827-1916. I have not really been able to find any info on this one in the sources I have, I did find one in gold in an older Thies catalogue (the Blass collection) valued quite expensive which could indicate that this is quite rare. Would any have some info on award numbers etc on this one? It's a rather nice fire gilded miniature, this didn't came out well in the scan.

Enjoy!

Lars

59a5d93ba2d51_Bayern1forGMIC.thumb.jpg.345ddafdaae9d238636daae36cc26a5c.jpg

59a5d93cc27cc_Bayern2forGMIC.thumb.jpg.892315b684a7f2d7667fefd5e09cb68a.jpg

What a brilliant chain.
    A long service officer who had been in three wars.
    He got no fighting-award like a MVO or a iron cross.
    The rare Ludwigskreuz was given for 50 years of service in the bavarian army. The cross had to be returned after the death of the bearer. That is one reason, why this cross is so rare. This cross was also given to bavarian officials, priests and other persons in a equal rank of an officer. The non-officers got a golden medal for 50 years of service.

On 15/9/2017 at 17:30, spolei said:

Spolei, thank you for the info, I never realized the 50 years cross were returnable, but that explains why you don't see them, apart from the fact that 50 years is a pretty long time to serve.

/Lars

Edited by larsb001

11 hours ago, larsb001 said:

Spolei, thank you for the info, I never realized the 50 years cross were returnable, but that explains why you don't see them, apart from the fact that 50 years is a pretty long time to serve.

/Lars

Hi,

I am assuming the Official award was returnable, but the Minis were private purchase and therefor private property.

• 1 month later...

For those interested in the Order of the Westphalian Crown this would be of interest. On a recent auction I was OUTBID :mad: - so it's not mine. But this is the best miniature I've ever seen of this one, gold, 3 dimensional, and on a chain with the full suite apart from the Order of Spain. Enjoy!

CB for GMIC.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...