News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Opinions please on this 'unknown' 1st Class Spange

This is my first post here on this forum. I would like to request identification regarding this 1st Class Spange from an 'unknown' maker. I have seen this type badge on other forums with both the tapered pin, as mine, and also the pin assembly like on a textbook Deumer. Please feel free to express your opinions on this badge, as to it being an original pre-1945 or not...

Thank you,

Robert

Hello

Good to see you over here on the GMIC.

I believe this type of spange, (bar), to be a good original one, although the actual maker is unknown. There are examples of this bar in reference books, e.g. Gordon Williamsons 'The Iron Cross of 1939', page 185. I have seen these elsewhere and they are described as original by an unknown maker.

So in my opinion, the bar is a good original. :beer:

Edited by DavidM

Thank you, David.

I very much appreciate your reply and opinion. I've received a photo of the same badge from a friend, which I would like to post here for a comparison. Also I found the same badge in a worn condition on a dealer's site last night, posted here also for comparison. We'll see if the photos will fit the format...

Robert

Hello

All look to be by the same unknown maker to me. Among other areas which match, look at the style of the '1' and the '3' in date box. Also the rear hardware, especially the pin and the catch are all identical.

In my opinion all three shown here are good. :beer:

Thank you Mr. Williamson,

I don't know of anyone I would trust more for an opinion on this badge than you, sir. I feel completely confident in ordering it now. Thank you very much. Your work is legendary. And I would rather give a person 'a rose' now than later. Thank you again.

BTW, I have been hearing so much about your book 'The Iron Cross of 1939' for so long, I want to order one. Can you please refer me to the publisher, that I might purchase this book?

Respectfully,

Robert Pierce

Hello

I've not had my copy of Gordons book for very long. I sourced mine via Amazon, and located a brand new, unwrapped copy in the USA through one of their approved 'partner' sellers. The price was very reasonable as well. Worth a look to see if any are still out there.

Edit. Just had a quick look on Amazon.com and one seller is listing brand new copies of Gordons book at $159.88 plus $3.49 shipping via Warbooks. The price of these has gone up a lot in the last few months. You can also sometimes find Gordons book for sale on E-Bay.

Hope this is of use.

Edited by DavidM

Thank you David,

This is one book I just have to have. It seems whenever there's a doubt about whether or not a badge is authentic, the only place to find the truth is in this book. Thank you for the sourse. If there's one left I'll find it.

Robert

There was still some new books left through Amazon.com, and mine is on it's way. Thank you very much, David.

Edited by robert pierce

Thanks Gordon,

I'm really happy with it. It's burnished areas really shine like a diamond. I'm so happy with it I had to go out and buy a worn piece, cased, by the same maker just to 'balance' things a bit. These spanges are really addictive. I love anything to do with the EK family. I also have an uncased Mayer on the way too, almost mint. I'll post everything here when they arrive.

Can anyone tell me how many makers manufactured the 1st Class Spange during the war? I have yet to receive Gordon's book, so I'm still in the dark on things.

Thanks again,

Robert

• 13 years later...

This spange was originally Unknown, but recently several have been found with the outer box (not case) and now is known as being made by Eugen Schmidhäußler .  As for a box the best is authored by Dietrich Maerz and George Stimson "The Iron Cross First Class" which also includes all known First Class spanges.  They recently released "The Spange to Iron Cross 2nd Class".  You can buy both books from B & D Publishing,  You have a very nice mint condition set.  Jim