News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Yugoslavian Partisan Stars

11 hours ago, Mister No said:

I did not test it for silver only for gold. And after that, it was enough to me. It's no longer with me, I only have photos.

Many thanks for the images! Look pretty much the same as the "golden" stars, I can't make out the number, is it 1414?

11 hours ago, Mister No said:

He did not buy it directly in IKOM, but from a man working in IKOM. Full bucket.
    Order of merit for the people of the second and third class. Order partisan stars of the third class. Brand new packed in nylon bags with ribbon.

I will open a separate topic about "shinny" IKOM decorations today, thanks for the information.

• 2 weeks later...
    • Replies 344
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK boys, the results are in regarding the content of my 'shinny' PS3!! :cheers:

As you can seen in the photo the content is as follows:

Star body: Ag - 93.51%, Cu - 6.39%

Screwpost: Ag - 90.21%. Cu - 9.79%

Screw-plate: Ag - 4.15%, Zn - 34.99%, Cu - 60.86% 

Ag = silver, Cu = copper, Zn = zinc.

As explained to me the star body and post are indeed 90+% silver.  The discrepancy in Ag content between the body and the post was deemed as 'wear and usage'.  I take that to mean the silver plated screw-plate rubbed off a bit onto the post.  Or perhaps the posts were from a different casting with slightly different composition.  The screw-plate is actually silver plated.

Partisan Star 3 assay results..jpg

Edited by Eric Gaumann
    screw PLATE silver plated (not "screwpost")

Excellent! :cheers: And much sooner than three weeks :) So the purity of the silver (body) is even higher than .900, it's closer to .950 and the screw plate is made out of silvered brass.
    Many thanks for testing the order from your collection and posting the results!

Edited by paja

12 hours ago, paja said:

Many thanks for testing the order from your collection and posting the results!

6 hours ago, BalkanCollector said:

Thank you very much for posting the results! 

You are very welcome!  This was a fun adventure.  I don't think I've ever seen anything like this done before.  I want an Order of the People's Army 3rd; maybe I should buy one of the un-marked versions and see if it is Tombak or not?

6 hours ago, BalkanCollector said:

Can we now say it's a legit piece since it checked out to be .900+ silver?

Maybe? :P  One never does know for sure, but I feel more confident now than before the test.

Not a bad investment in silver, either.  I bought mine on US Ebay for $20 (plus $4 or $5 s&h).  Spot silver price is about $11.  What is the weight on the Mondvor and Ikom PS3s?  I guessed about 22g.  (Both my scales are broken.)

3 hours ago, gerd vantyghem said:

Here are my documented stars so far :) 

What an amazing collection of Yugoslav Partisan Stars, we don't see many documented orders, thanks for the photos! :beer:
    It's interesting to see that two out of those three stars were awarded to Soviet recipients.

3 hours ago, gerd vantyghem said:

1. 3rd class (2480), with replacement screw plateDSC02790_opt.jpg

Does that replacement screw plate look like the one for the Soviet 1st class? I ask because we already saw two stars like that in this topic, both awarded to Soviets, numbers 2376 and 2394 - pretty close to 2480.
    #2376 LINK
    #2394 LINK

Edited by paja

Yes, the screw plate resembles a 1st class screw plate extremely well, but as I recall it was not entirely the same as my 1st class screw plate. I can make a side by side photo next week. But, indeed it's quite a coincidence... Maybe all 3rd class stars in that range got issued with this type of screw plate? 

Thanks for your kind words :-) Invite me in Belgrade for a beer, so we can talk about Partizan stars! lol  :beer:

Kind regards,

Gerd V

3 hours ago, paja said:

What an amazing collection of Yugoslav Partisan Stars, we don't see many documented orders, thanks for the photos! :beer:
    It's interesting to see that two out of those three stars were awarded to Soviet recipients.

Does that replacement screw plate look like the one for the Soviet 1st class? I ask because we already saw two stars like that in this topic, both awarded to Soviets, numbers 2376 and 2394 - pretty close to 2480.
    #2376 LINK
    #2394 LINK

Oh, before I forgot. I cannot read cyrillian. How do you know a star was offered to a Sovjet serviceman? 

3 hours ago, paja said:

I was thinking the same thing, perhaps a certain number left the factory with that type of screw nuts. Apart from those three I've seen one more, #235X, unfortunately I can't remember where.
    If you find yourself in Belgrade we should go testing Serbian beers :beer: 

The names of the recipients gave them away :)
    3rd class #2480 was awarded to Akhmetov Galim (Ахметов Галим), guards lieutenant.
    2nd class #1543 was awarded to Ilchenko Petar Danilovich (Илченко Петар Данилович - Serbian; Ильченко Петр Данилович - Russian?), guards major.

Edited by paja

I did a forced patina on my PS3 since I found a very cheap, easy and chemical-free method of doing so. Before and after images provided.

Not quite a natural patination, which may have been due to not cleaning the materials before the procedure, but I like the new look.  And it will get better over time, too.

PM me for the secret method.  If I know you and trust you I will share it.

OPS3-before-and-after-O.jpg

OPS3-before-and-after-R.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
    • 4 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...
    • 3 weeks later...