Did I spy peace class (arts/sci) PLM in post 15? How does that figure?

B

Edited by Biber

Hi all, interesting thread (For me) does anyone perhaps have a higher resolution (Readable) copy of this?

regards

Alex K

On 03/06/2007 at 17:28, Deruelle said:

I remember seeing all the awards of von Bismarck but where. This week end I find it. In an old review : INFO Nr. 54.

Regards

Christophe

post-176-1180884528.jpg

edit hi, don't quite know why it's decided to multiply itself! (edited by speedytop)

Edited by speedytop
double pictures and text

Hi speedytop, thanks for the quick reply and readable copy, much appreciated, regards

Edited by Alex K

1 hour ago, VtwinVince said:

I'd like to see the Iron Chancellor try and wear everything at once.

The mind boggles, actually I've noticed that any images of Bismarck wearing his decorations be that photographs or portrait paintings appear to be as rare as hen's teeth, (unless I'm on a different planet), the higher resolution copy list kindly posted by Speedytop shows an ordenspange, after much search I've located two images, one very poor where he is actually wearing one, they differ from the one on the list, quality is to poor for me to fully identify what's on them, anyone guess? In the two images I posted the medal bar appears to be the same, with at least 2 more medals

regards

489 copy.JPG

4552_klein2 800 copy.JPG

t.jpg

Untitled-1 copy.JPG

Edited by Alex K

A picture of the red eagle order grand cross with oak leave, crown, scepter and sword

image.png.2340b0a79d067d6e430af63d67499fd8.png

Edited by Utgardloki

Hi thanks for the images, that grand cross looks very interesting, out of curiosity, was there an equivalent breast star with crossed swords and sceptre? regards

Edited by Alex K

Goodness gracious.

It seems if he wanted to wear all those at once he would have needed a wheelbarrow the length of a railroad cart to carry the weight...can't see how it's humanly possible to wear all those awards at once.

I have a book entitled 'Bismarck Denkmal fuer das deutsche Volk' which has many shots of his awards. Unfortunately it is packed away in storage. I'd like to know how he got the Rettungsmedaille.

Just a question out of curiosity about Bismarck.

I've read somewhere that although he was created Prince of Bismarck (inheritable by descendants) and Duke of Lauenburg (what the British would call a ''life peerage) he was bitterly disappointed that he wasn't given a territory to reign over as sovereign. Is there any truth in that?

3 hours ago, GdC26 said:

There is a book on Fürst Bismarck's awards: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Orden-Ehrenzeichen-Reichskanzlers-Fürst-Bismarck/dp/3937064087

Kind regards, 

Sandro

Thanks for the info, unfortunately a search seems to indicate that no-one has it available unfortunately.

whilst on the subject, looking through the list of decorations provided by speedytop, it lists "Tunisian House order" it's a bit vague, could this be the "Nishan ud-Dam - Husainid Family order" by any chance?

regards

Nishan ud-Dam - neck badge copy2.JPG

57 minutes ago, Alex K said:

Thanks for the info, unfortunately a search seems to indicate that no-one has it available unfortunately.

whilst on the subject, looking through the list of decorations provided by speedytop, it lists "Tunisian House order" it's a bit vague, could this be the "Nishan ud-Dam - Husainid Family order" by any chance?

regards

Nishan ud-Dam - neck badge copy2.JPG

(Actually) search and ye shall find .....https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/ShopBasket?ac=a&ik=17939375840&ir&clickid=TcuSXQV6xxyJUEWwUx0Mo3E1Uknx39XCBz6k0A0&cm_mmc=aff-_-ir-_-59145-_-212653&ref=imprad59145&afn_sr=impact 

Kind regards, 

Sandro

1 hour ago, GdC26 said:

Thank you, I did try them but I suspect it was the uk branch, it said no stock if memory serves me right

Abebooks UK yields the same Amsterdam offering. Anyway, it's a publication well worth having for anyone interested in the topic of this thread.

Kind regards, 

Sandro