News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet belt buckles

Takc

• Replies 57
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question...

How does one sort out DEMBEL from wartime trench art or field craft?? My guess is you cannot. I suppose the tradition of DEMBEL would push much of the hand made items into that category. But given all the engraved items and other types of fieldcraft such as cigarette lighters, spoons etc I would have to think unique belt buckles would have been a fairly common item to have been made wartime as well by troops still in active duty. I have a handcrafted square brass buckle I will show here soon that has an engraved Soviet national symbol on it, but it was made to fit a German belt. DEMBEL or wartime??? For comparison, I also have a skillet fabricated from a cutout German Canteen bottle.

Mike

I think Dembel typically means standard insignia modified to make it appear 'special'. Such as piping added to collars, badges cut up and glued or sewn together in layers to make 3d ones etc.

The Dembel stuff is completely non regulation, wheras field made things are usually are personal stuff, and not for wear. (The obvious exception is in modified German equipment during the war).

I think Dembel typically means standard insignia modified to make it appear 'special'. Such as piping added to collars, badges cut up and glued or sewn together in layers to make 3d ones etc.

The Dembel stuff is completely non regulation, wheras field made things are usually are personal stuff, and not for wear. (The obvious exception is in modified German equipment during the war).

RichieC these officers from infantry ?

Sergey, I wish I knew for certain. There seems to not be any insignia (for example, tank, or artillery), so these men may be indeed be infantry. But who is to know (?), as I believe that many of the branches did not wear insignia on their field boards at times...

Sergey, I wish I knew for certain. There seems to not be any insignia (for example, tank, or artillery), so these men may be indeed be infantry. But who is to know (?), as I believe that many of the branches did not wear insignia on their field boards at times...

I thought that looking at a photo is possible see signs on a uniform.

Thanks

Hi all,

Sorry it took me a bit longer than I'd expected. Had to get through work till the weekend so I'd have time. Finally went down in the bunker and did all my scans in one fell swoop.

First off... Soviet dress belt. This is on the golden/yellow type belt with the dagger hangers:

And the markings on the inside of the belt. Hard to see I know... I tried adjusting the pic's color balance as best I could which helped a bit... no idea if this means anything to anyone or not:

This is on the black belt by the way.

Edited by Hauptman

Anyhow that's the extent of my Soviet belt/buckle collection at present. I hope to someday be able to add the field version of the Army, the Enlisted white dress belt for parades and such and a black Navy with dagger hangers.

Dan :cheers:

• 5 weeks later...

Hello,

found this belt buckle at the weekend on the flea market. Has somebody more pictures about the fixing of the

belt leather? How does it look like?

regards and thanks

Andreas

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

found this belt buckle at the weekend on the flea market. Has somebody more pictures about the fixing of the

belt leather? How does it look like?

regards and thanks

Andreas

Andreas,

Do you need to see the buckle end of a belt, or the whole thing in general?

Richie C

Andreas,

Do you need to see the buckle end of a belt, or the whole thing in general?

Richie C

Hello Richie,

all pictures would be helpful. Especially the fixing of the leather at the brass buckle.

regards

Andreas

Sorry I didn't spot this question earlier!

Here are some pics. As you can see the leather simply is looped araound the 'bracket' on the buckle, the end of the belt just slides through and is kept in place by the brass stud. The heavily worn/repaired one is interesting in terms of construction, but the bett example still has the backing and leather 'tongue' behind the buckle to protect the tunic. (These belts weren't meant for combat use, but were very popular and used in combination with combat, service and parade uniform.