News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Have you ever heard about http://www.medalhouse.com/ ?

I have received a catalogue from them today. I do not know who gave them my address, because I have never heard of this Auction House before. They have some pretty Soviet orders and medals for sale, but I do not intend to buy any. I wonder if many Auction House have this tactic to sell us there stuff. It must be pretty expansive for them to send a 100 color pages catalogue to anybody in the mail like that.

• Replies 104
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is from jani tianen.

jani is one of the young guns in our

hobby, and is a very fine man as well

as knowledgeable. antti, who does the

iron cross statistics, are close associates

and both are assets to the collecting

community.

i had the pleasure of talking with jani at

the SOS, and told him quite clearly that i

was pleased to see his fine first effort.

i would have NO reservation about doing business

with him, and hope this project is successful!

joe

Hello,

Thank you for your interest - I am the owner of the abovementioned auction. Please feel free to send any questions regarding the forthcoming auction.

Catalogues were sent to those who have pre-ordered them through our web site or at the shows we have been spreading leaflets. Let me know if you want .pdf catalogue. I will send that by email if needed (10 Megabytes). We did a lot of work with the auction and decided to give our first catalogue out free. Medalhouse Ltd. is new company just for the auctions, but is owned by me / Finnmedals Intl., which I have had for over ten years.

Prices ARE NOT starting prices, but ESTIMATE prices. There is a reserve price on each item, but that is lower than the lowest estimate.

It was nice to meet many of you at the SOS!

With best regards,

Jani

I got the cataloge today and there are some very nice things in it. However, a few observations:

Lot 406 (actually i am not sure about his one)

How is it possible, that a Nevsky Type 1 was awarded in 1980? :speechless1:

Lot 419

Order of the Red Banner 111.170 is a suspension type with an added screwpost, not a Type 2. I just guess, the estimate was for a Type 2, right?

Lot 426

"Victory Parade Issue"

is not possible, as this is a late Type 4 example and as a "Victory Parade Issue" it has to be an early Type 3 in my opinion.

Thats all, i have to complain ;)

I must say, i was very suprised about Lot 290 with the german Third Reich Medalbar with a St. Stanislaus 3rd class :speechless1: Rick please explain this to me!!!! :speechless:

I would like to add, that Jani is one of the most trustworthy dealers in this hobby and i can only recommend to do business with him. You won?t be disappointed.

Gerd

I forgot one thing. I am very sceptical about the originality of Lot Nr. 418: Order of the Red Banner 4th Award, s/n 5245. The serialnumber is too high, for this variation and at all, as there aren?t more than about 3500 4th Awards were awarded, as far as i know. The reverse looks very shiny and the makers mark (as far as one can see it) looks strange...

Can someone comment to the Nevsky and the Red Banner 4th award? I am very curious. The cataloge states, the Nevsky was issued to the awardee?s son, but why would they issue a Type 1 Nevsky? Only thing, i could think, of, that it was forgotten and later issued to his son, but why is the ring and the enamel repaired then, when it was never worn?

The cataloge states, the Nevsky was issued to the awardee?s son, but why would they issue a Type 1 Nevsky? Only thing, i could think, of, that it was forgotten and later issued to his son, but why is the ring and the enamel repaired then, when it was never worn?

He dropped it on the floor and then repaired it to sell it. :rolleyes:

Gerd,

I readon here once that a lot of Soldiers after the wargot in trouble and were sent to the Gulag and there awards confiscated :unsure: maybe this one was confiscated and given back to the awardes son :unsure:

Order of Victory

Thats of course possible, but in 1980??? I really don?t know...

It could of taken that long to track down the family :unsure:

Order of Victory

OoV,

i guess, your theory is probably the most likely and the only one, i can think of. There were for sure some cases like you mention, but would they really dig out the old Type 1 Nevsky from the archives or would they issue a replacement?

The repairs imply, that the original recipient may have worn it already and maybe even converted it(ring looks weird and aren?t there traces of solder on the reverse?)

To clarify, i am not saying, this set or the document is bad, i just would like to know, how is it possible to issue a Type 1 Nevsky with an 1980ies Document (No. "И 998049", awarded 27. February 1980)? There is obviously a letter included from the Supreme Soviet to the son of the recipient. Maybe the content clears all this up?

If this is really the case and this Nevsky was taken from the archives and reissued to his son in 1980, then this is probably a very rare and historically valuable set, which will go for much more than the estimated 2000-3000 Dollar.

One last thought, shouldn?t the document be a duplicate and marked a such in this case?

Still puzzled about this set...

Gerd

I have been told that the Russian govermnment is bringing pressure, "Southebys-style", on this auction and that thr Soviet pieces may be pulled. Does anyone know?

Little birdies have told me that they still plan to continue with the auction as-is.

Dave