News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

and we should not forget, that the prices are in (expensive) EURO :( . So, we have to add another 30 % surplus to our calculations ...

Good point! I didn't even think about that... and I thought that the estimates were expensive - even in dollars! :banger: Oy!

Dave

• Replies 104
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today's the big day for the auction!

I will be interested to see what the final prices on items are.

I for one will not be bidding. There are some items I like, but given the "estimates" plus 18% plus shipping and handling would be excessive and well beyond what I could personally afford. Ah well... maybe next time.

Dave

Dave,

I'm in the same boat. There are some medals to Soviet medical personnel I would have loved to bid on. However, No money this month. :banger: Maybe the next auction... :rolleyes:

The catalog is still good for referrence. At least that's something.

:beer: Doc

Alex - are the results out? I'm curious as to what everything ended at! Thanks! Dave

Dear Jani,

dear Alex,

dear Gentlemen,

can the results with the actual hammer prices be seen somewhere in the www :unsure: ?

Many thanks for the informations in advance :beer: .

Best regards

Christian

Guest Rick Research

Thank YOU for standing up to the forces of international anti-collecting stupidity-- and winning! :cheers:

Auction results are now on our site.

If you can not see the link, please refresh your browser.

All the succesful absentee bidders will be contacted directly. We will go to Stuttgart show tomorrow for a week so please be patient if we are not able to handle all bids before returning to Finland next week.

With best regards,

Jani Tiainen

Helsiniki - results & market trends

Gentlemen,

in average Helsinki showed the present market situation.

But some highly interesting medals and badges had not been sold - it's a pity, that I - and some others of our community - didn't bid for them :( .

Some results of the auction.

The 3 groups are just my knowledge & feeling about the market for Soviet awards.

I switched over to USD and added the 18 % already.

Over market expectations:

Motherland 2cl for 2.300,- and and low numberd Motherland 3cl for 920,-.

Ribbon-Lenin (r.i. + doc.) for 2000,-.

RB #2 for 3.050,- and RB #3 for 2.750,- (ribbon-RBs).

Medals: Ushakov (low numbered) for 2.300,- and Nakhimov (hand engr.) for 2.000,- and for 1.600,-.

"Normal" market prices:

Kutuzov 3cl for 6.750,-.

Nevsky T2 for 2.300,-.

HSL (low numbererd + doc.) for 1.850,-.

RBL T2 one for 2.300,- and for 2.150,-.

Under market expectations:

Glory 3cl (border) for 4.600,-.

Glory 2cl + 3cl (res.) for 600,-.

Glory 2cl + 3cl (res. + dupl. doc.) for 750,-.

Partisan 1cl (+ doc.) 340,-.

It seems, that there might be a growing demand for RB #X (but RB #4 did not sell!), Navy-Medals and (rare) Motherlands.

Rank & file awards - Glory & Partisan - seemed not to be so much looked after close to the Russian border, as one of the big Russian dealers already told to me last summer :( .

Just my quick analysis out of the auction results.

Again: All prices are in USD (excl. shipping & insurance).

Best regards :beer:

Christian

Edited by Christian Zulus

Thank YOU for standing up to the forces of international anti-collecting stupidity-- and winning! :cheers:

Smooth sailing all the way. It was a good auction, albeit beign responsible for all those awards was rather exhausting, especially near the end.

I'm pretty sure I had made a bid on a certain item and thought I had read that the price ranges given were not minimum prices but estimates... yet I see the item I bid on as "unsold" based on the "prices realized" list. Did I miss something in the fine print?

I'm pretty sure I had made a bid on a certain item and thought I had read that the price ranges given were not minimum prices but estimates... yet I see the item I bid on as "unsold" based on the "prices realized" list. Did I miss something in the fine print?

The awards also had a reserve, so if your bid was below the award's reserve, the award went "unsold"

Dave

The awards also had a reserve, so if your bid was below the award's reserve, the award went "unsold"

Dave

Aha - another question regarding the practice at these kinds of auctions. Say an item is listed with:

- price range estimate of 1.000 Euro

- person A bidding via mail 1.200 Euro

- person B bidding via mail 2.000 Euro

Obviously person B will win. But will that person pay 2.000 or does the auction go up in increments (e.g. 1.300 as winning bid) as if everybody was bidding in increments in a live auction?

Aha - another question regarding the practice at these kinds of auctions. Say an item is listed with:

- price range estimate of 1.000 Euro

- person A bidding via mail 1.200 Euro

- person B bidding via mail 2.000 Euro

Obviously person B will win. But will that person pay 2.000 or does the auction go up in increments (e.g. 1.300 as winning bid) as if everybody was bidding in increments in a live auction?

Dear Bob,

if the steps for bidding are 100 Euro, then personb B will get the item for 1.300 Euro.

At auctions the increments might get larger in the way the bidding is growing. But these steps have to be regulated und published. It is boring to bid for a Suvorov 1cl at a price level of 80.000 Euro in 100 Euro steps ;) .

Christian

Dear Bob,

if the steps for bidding are 100 Euro, then personb B will get the item for 1.300 Euro.

At auctions the increments might get larger in the way the bidding is growing. But these steps have to be regulated und published. It is boring to bid for a Suvorov 1cl at a price level of 80.000 Euro in 100 Euro steps ;) .

Christian

How can you be sure - when sending in a mail bid of 2.000 euro - that you will get the lowest winning amount as opposed to having the auction house just slapping 2.000 winning bid on it despite potentially 1.300 being good enough?

How can you be sure - when sending in a mail bid of 2.000 euro - that you will get the lowest winning amount as opposed to having the auction house just slapping 2.000 winning bid on it despite potentially 1.300 being good enough?

Dear Bob,

well, that would be a crime :speechless1: .

They have the posted offers and nothing more (and the bidders live in the auction hall). So, they can only add one step of bidding.

Christian

That depends on the policies of the particular auction house. I know of one major militaria auction house here in the US that switched from bidding in increments (or whatever it's called - where if one person bids $1000, the next person bids $2000, the higher is the winner and pays $1001 for the item) to bidding as actual bids. So, if you bid $2000 on an item, and the other bid was only $100, you would still be paying $2000 for the item. Luckily, for this change they made it widely known, however people who had originall bid on their auction, left the auction for a time, and came back to bid later were often surprised that their actual bid was the one that they paid!

So really, an auction house should have their bidding policies in print, so that way there is no confusion about what policy they adhere to.

Dave

Increments should spelled out in an auction house's conditions of sale.

I stopped bidding in several European auctions when I finally figured out that the high mail bid was the opening bid on the floor, so one bid from the knocked me out of competition.

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...