News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

HMS Ganges now

HMS Ganges, brings back a few memories as I was in one of the final recruit classes through there in November 1975. I can still remember the huge gun sheds where drill was practised during wet weather and all around the shed walls were the figure heads of masted ships long gone. I can also recall above one of the walkways a large carved motto - "Fear God, Honour the King", and I remember being very impressed by it and wondered how many other trainee sailors had passed beneath it. Perhaps one of the scariest duties there was down at the laundry come drying room, which hadn't changed since the turn of the century, the frightening part being it was also doubled as the morgue.

Graham.

the second photo i changed from colour to black and white which i think came out very good. the drill halls were still used as drill halls when i was in police training in 1991. the base no longer a police training college hence the neglete it now suffers. i did hear that the sight was going to be developed into a housing complex but the mast has a presavation order put on it now so that cannot be touched. just hope they maintain it and dosn't rot away

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone that has been 'button boy' has my undying admiration :cheers: . I did some time on a sailing ship and changing the masthead lamp bulbs seriously made my bottom pucker :speechless1: and that was with a safety harness.

Edited by Jim Maclean