My thanks to do eitze who has assisted me in the researching Windisch, Can anyone assist with the decorations of

Ltn. RUDOLF Windisch - Jastas 32, 50, 66 ???

he was born on 27.01.1897 in Dresden, the capital of the Kingdom of Saxony. So he was Saxon by birth.

Many thanks,

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Dante,

Rudolf Windisch is unique in that he garnered several high bravery awards for remarkable feats both as an enlisted pilot and as an officer.

Wound Badge - Awarded for wounds received in 1914 while serving in the 177th Infantry Regt.

Accepted to Flight School January 1915.

Pilots Badge - Awarded 10 June 1915

Promoted to Unteroffizier 10 June 1915 and assigned flight instrutor duty in FEA 6. Applied for combat duty and assigned to FFA 62 1 May 1916 as a reconnaissance pilot.

EK2 - awarded July 1916 for a series of daring reconnaissance flights as an enlisted pilot.

Promoted to Vizefeldwebel July 1916

EK1 - awarded 25 August 1916 for 1st Victory downing a balloon as an enlisted pilot

Prussian Crown Order 4th Class - awarded by the Kaiser on 18 October 1916 for a secret mission 2-3 October involving landing behind enemy lines and destroying a bridge. Only German pilot who earned this medal.

Saxon Cross of Honor with Swords - awarded in October 1916 for same feat as Prussian Crown Order

Saxon Military Order of St. Heinrich in Silver - awarded in October 1916 after review for same feat as Prussian Crown Order

Promoted to Leutnant Dec 1916.

Assigned as fighter pilot 20 February 1917 and sent to further training

Saxon Order of Albert, Ritterkreuz 1st CL - awarded 1 November 1918 for 4th victory

Promoted to CO Jasta 66 10 Jan 1918 with 6 victories

Jan - May 1918 - achieved 15 aerial victories leading his Jasta and was awarded the following as a result of these extraordinary combats:

Prussian Knight's Cross with swords to the Order of the House of Hohenzollern

Austro-Hungarian Bravery Medal in Silver (2nd CL)

Saxon Military Order of St. Heinrich in Gold

Nominated for the Pour le Merite on his 21st victory 16 May 1918

Pour le Merite - awarded 6 June 1918 in absentia as he was believed captured and held in French custody after he was shot down having scored 22 aerial victories.

He may have been awarded other medals but I cannot find the data on them. I've attached a pic that shows many of these awards but the PlM has been added to the pic. It must have been taken in the Spring of 1918. Hope this helps, Steve

Edited by Steve Russell
  • 4 years later...

Hi,

Just reading this post, Neal O'Connor in his last update book before his death, told that he never received knight cross 1st class with X of Albert Order of Saxe, but the knight cross 2nd class with X.

Christophe

Hi

I have some copies from the manuscript about the book about Windisch K.A.Beck apparently used.

The actual book about Windisch was stolen from the archive maybe 20 Years ago.

Anyway the manuscript - material contains two signed extract about his awards, and there were only

two Saxon awards.

1. 161016 Sächs. Militär St Heinrichs medaille in Silber

2. 041117 Ritterkreuz zweiter Kl des Sächs Albrechtsordens mit Schwerten

:)

Gunnar