News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My DDR Police Collection

From Flags Of The World website.

Hi all,

Now that we have a reference to go by I decided to seriously dig in and try to complete a set. Here's what I have so far:

First off... not an award per set but a piece I love. It's for helpers of police:

Very nicely embroidered and they're still extremely cheap as nice as they are. I think there is another type for actual police personnel but I can't remember for sure. Or perhaps it was for helpers of the Border Guard. If anyone knows please give me a nudge.

Edited by Paul R

• Replies 62
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And a closeup of the ribbon bar. Note that the device does have the DDR compass insignia so should be placed with the two points of that compass in the down position when displayed... even though it's hard to see:

All three of these... the 30, 25 and 20 year, have the same metal insignia on the ribbon bar.

Medaille f?r Treue Dienste in der bewaffneten Organen des Ministeriums des Innern - 15 Jahre:

Obverses:

Reverse:

I don't know if these were supposed to have been gold or not... but the ones I've seen all have a beautiful color... not silver but sort of a silver with a very light gold tone to it... which really doesn't describe it very well. It doesn't show up that well on a scan but it's a gorgeous color!

I'd nearly forgotten... here are my Police academy graduation badges for NCOs and Officers:

And I'm assuming these would have been awarded to Police K9 units:

And here's an Urkunde I'd gotten a while back for an early police medal:

Front of the folder:

Inside of the folder/Urkunde:

Serial number of the award on the Urkunde:

Document signed by Fritz Eikemeier, who was Polizeipresident of Berlin from 1953 to 1964 and lived from 1908 to 1985.

Closeup of the medal pictured on the Urkunde:

So that's definitely another one I need to keep my eye out for.

Hope to keep adding to the set and have more to show before too long. :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Flag graphics from Flags Of The World website.

Edited by Hauptman

Wow :Cat-Scratch: Dan you are realy doing well with those :jumping:

Order of Victory

Hi Vic,

Many thanks my friend. :jumping: But of course we're actually just about neck n' neck on the medals... at least you and Grant will be once the big shipment arrives. :jumping::jumping: Only you have the High Achievement and I have the Grim Reaper. We both need to keep shopping. :P

Keep hunting... gotta get em' all! :beer:

Dan,

Nice start to a your police collection. I'd like to add a couple of comments. Hopefully they will be useful.

1-All of the first medals you posted all bear the last type pin used in the DDR from about 1986 to 89 so any Urkunde you purchase to go with them, if you intend to do that, should be dated to match.

2-There are no Akademy badges for NCOs. Only for officers. The two you have shown are;

a-Wiess mit grunem rand (white with green border) der Hochschule der Deutsche Volkespolizei "Karl Liebnecht" in Berlin

b-grau mit grunem rand (grey with green border) zivile hochschulen

Basically, the one badge was awarded for taking your training at the DVP akademy while the other was for graduating from a civilian university.

3-the Dog Handlers qualification badges were given to individual policemen who were qualified dog handlers. They were issued from 1966 to 1989.

4-The early folder and urkunde was a great find. This award only came into being on 28.04.55 and you have an urkunde for one of the very first medals awarded. This pink tone colour of folder was discontinued after a while and you only see it for medals awarded in the early years of the DDR. If you will look at the picture of the medal you will notice it bears the three colour shield and not the later compass and hammer state seal. For this urkunde you will need to find an early medal to match. They are not easy to locate, probably only through ebay.de, and it will be pricey when you find it.

Keep up the good work of adding to your collection and posting them for our enjoyment.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

Dan,

Nice start to a your police collection. I'd like to add a couple of comments. Hopefully they will be useful.

1-All of the first medals you posted all bear the last type pin used in the DDR from about 1986 to 89 so any Urkunde you purchase to go with them, if you intend to do that, should be dated to match.

2-There are no Akademy badges for NCOs. Only for officers. The two you have shown are;

a-Wiess mit grunem rand (white with green border) der Hochschule der Deutsche Volkespolizei "Karl Liebnecht" in Berlin

b-grau mit grunem rand (grey with green border) zivile hochschulen

Basically, the one badge was awarded for taking your training at the DVP akademy while the other was for graduating from a civilian university.

3-the Dog Handlers qualification badges were given to individual policemen who were qualified dog handlers. They were issued from 1966 to 1989.

4-The early folder and urkunde was a great find. This award only came into being on 28.04.55 and you have an urkunde for one of the very first medals awarded. This pink tone colour of folder was discontinued after a while and you only see it for medals awarded in the early years of the DDR. If you will look at the picture of the medal you will notice it bears the three colour shield and not the later compass and hammer state seal. For this urkunde you will need to find an early medal to match. They are not easy to locate, probably only through ebay.de, and it will be pricey when you find it.

Keep up the good work of adding to your collection and posting them for our enjoyment.

Regards,

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

As always mucho thanks for all your great info on these! :jumping::jumping: We definitely couldn't do it without you my friend! :beer:

And especially thanks on the info on the academy badges. I'd gone by something I'd seen on the web at some point and went with it. Had no idea. I'll have to let Grant know as I'd given him the same incorrect info. :blush: But great to be set straight again. Many thanks! :cheers:

And I'll definitely keep the date range in mind on future docs.

On that last... I sure hope I manage to grab one soon. Will let ya'll know first thing. But I'd definitely love to put the medal to the doc. :D

Thanks again!!!! :beer:

Hi all,

Well, more new additions to my Police set... Verdienstmedaille der Organe des Ministeriums des Innern in gold, silver and bronze:

Obverse:

Reverse:

So now I only need three more to finish the set. :jumping::jumping::beer:

Hi guys,

Time for me to add a polizei medal to this post. It is a Fur Treue Dienste for the KVP. It comes in a black simulated leather case very similar to those used during WWII. Note the dark colour of the interimspange as it was worn on the owners tunic. The attached pictures show the original owner in his KVP uniform without the IS in wear; in KVP uniform wearing the KVP IS and in his brand new NVA uniform. These medals were numbered, an unusual German practice, probably the Russian influence. Also not the early barrel catch on both the medal and the IS. Unfortunately, the Urkunde did not come with the medal.

Regards,

Gordon

copyright for all photos and text is the property of Gordon Craig

Edited by Gordon Craig

Hi Gordon,

:cheers:

Outstanding set! :jumping::jumping: Out of curiosity, were all the KVP's serial numbered? And are they difficult to come by? :unsure: I'm coming up where I'm going to be hunting one down and didn't know if it was going to be a rare piece like I'm assuming these are:

Ehrentitel "Verdienter Mitarbeiter der Staatssicherheit" (conferred to Stasi members)

Ehrentitel "Verdienter Volkspolizist"

And not positive I'd need the Stasi one for a "police set". I've always kind of considered them separate from the regular police.

Only other one I'm hunting for right now is the Medaille f?r ausgezeichnete Leistungen in der bewaffneten Organen des Ministeriums des Innern. I may have a line on one but not sure yet. Well, that and the one I need for my Urkunde.

Thanks, :beer: