News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My DDR Police Collection

Dan,

As far as I know, all of these KVP medals were numbered.

For the medals you are looking for, yes they are avaiable but I don't see them for sale very often and then only on ebay.de.

I wouldn't class the STASI as police. For that particular medal there are two issues. The 1970 to 74 and the 1975 to 89. I don't own one of these medals and haven't researched them so can not add a lot more than that you are looking at big money here for an original. Since almost all high end awards are being repro'd in Germany these days I would do a lot of homework before buying. Personally, I would only buy one of these from someone I knew really well. Dealers are not always up on the high quality repros and since the buyer rarely gets to see more than the one he buys it is a dicey proposition these days.

The Verdienter Volkespolizist der DDR falls in the same category as the STASI when it comes to rarety but is not quite as expensive. Probably two third the price of the STASI medal. I wouldn't touch this one except from a very well known person.

The problem with high end awards is that you are forced to buy form a trusted source, normally a dealer you know well and trust, and his prices will be high. Probably the highest out there. But then again if you are going to lay out anywhere between 1000 and 1500 Euros why buy from a stranger?

Good luck on your hunt for these medals.

Regards,

Gordon

• Replies 62
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan,

As far as I know, all of these KVP medals were numbered.

For the medals you are looking for, yes they are avaiable but I don't see them for sale very often and then only on ebay.de.

I wouldn't class the STASI as police. For that particular medal there are two issues. The 1970 to 74 and the 1975 to 89. I don't own one of these medals and haven't researched them so can not add a lot more than that you are looking at big money here for an original. Since almost all high end awards are being repro'd in Germany these days I would do a lot of homework before buying. Personally, I would only buy one of these from someone I knew really well. Dealers are not always up on the high quality repros and since the buyer rarely gets to see more than the one he buys it is a dicey proposition these days.

The Verdienter Volkespolizist der DDR falls in the same category as the STASI when it comes to rarety but is not quite as expensive. Probably two third the price of the STASI medal. I wouldn't touch this one except from a very well known person.

The problem with high end awards is that you are forced to buy form a trusted source, normally a dealer you know well and trust, and his prices will be high. Probably the highest out there. But then again if you are going to lay out anywhere between 1000 and 1500 Euros why buy from a stranger?

Good luck on your hunt for these medals.

Regards,

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Again many thanks for all this great info. You should write a book my friend! :jumping::jumping: Goodness knows we desperately need some in English. :D

Real quick... on the KVP's... roughly what would I be looking at with one of those? And how hard to find cased... and how much more for that would you think?

Also about how much do you think I should be looking at for the one I need for my early Urkunde? Cased and/or uncased?

Thanks! :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Edited by Hauptman

Hi all,

Well, just managed to work out another one... the Medaille f?r ausgezeichnete Leistungen in der bewaffneten Organen des Ministeriums des Innern:

I'm hoping this and the last group of three I posted (all from same seller) will be here by the middle to the end of the week (knock on wood!). :jumping::jumping:

So other than the last really high and expensive ones I've pretty much finished the set. :beer:

Hi Gordon,

Again many thanks for all this great info. You should write a book my friend! :jumping::jumping: Goodness knows we desperately need some in English. :D

Real quick... on the KVP's... roughly what would I be looking at with one of those? And how hard to find cased... and how much more for that would you think?

Also about how much do you think I should be looking at for the one I need for my early Urkunde? Cased and/or uncased?

Thanks! :beer:

Dan,

All good questions that I do not have an answer for at the moment. My cased KVP and the photos came from a German friend, also a DDR collector, who lives just outside Berlin. He offered it to me and whether you could get a cased one for that price I do not know. Early cased medals are not easy to find. I only was able to acquire the cased one because it was offered to me, not because I was able to search and find one. Contacts in Germany are essential for these kinds of things. As for the one you need to go with your early Urkunde, another good question. I'll have a look around over the next few days and get back to you. I haven't bought any DDR medals for some time, only uniforms, so I am not current on their prices and I want to make sure the info I give to you is accurate.

Regards,

Gordon

Dan,

All good questions that I do not have an answer for at the moment. My cased KVP and the photos came from a German friend, also a DDR collector, who lives just outside Berlin. He offered it to me and whether you could get a cased one for that price I do not know. Early cased medals are not easy to find. I only was able to acquire the cased one because it was offered to me, not because I was able to search and find one. Contacts in Germany are essential for these kinds of things. As for the one you need to go with your early Urkunde, another good question. I'll have a look around over the next few days and get back to you. I haven't bought any DDR medals for some time, only uniforms, so I am not current on their prices and I want to make sure the info I give to you is accurate.

Regards,

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Quite understand. Will stay in a holding pattern on these... and actually no rush as I'm getting low on funds right now anyhow. But want to be prepared once I have my war chest built back up again.

Many thanks, :beer:

Dan,

I only had time for a quick look today but didn't find anything on the medal to go with the Urkunde. I did find some things for sale from a dealer friend in Berlin and I'll post a picture of one with the award. This badge dates from around the same time as your medal with the same type of folder and Urkunde. This badge is more available than your medal but it will give you some idea of prices. The price for the Urkunde and the badge is 400 Euros.

Regards,

Gordon

Hi all,

My newest addition and one I've been dying to tell about all week but I didn't want to jinx it. :blush: I just won it on Ebay at about 7:38 p.m. cst. I thinks I did good on this one!!!!

This is the one that goes with my early urkunde in posts #11 and 12. And to get it with the ribbon bar and cased was definitely a great bonus I think. :love:

I'll definitely post more and better pics once I get it. Needless to say I'm overjoyed at finally being able to reunite the medal with the document. :jumping::jumping:

You have some great medals Dan! Your collection is coming right along nicely!

Gordon... WOW! I love the police medal/photo grouping. I have not seen too many legit groupings about!

Paul

You have some great medals Dan! Your collection is coming right along nicely!

Gordon... WOW! I love the police medal/photo grouping. I have not seen too many legit groupings about!

Paul

Why thank you Paul! I really appreciate that. :jumping::jumping::D I think of all of them I'm most proud of the one I added tonight and being able to put it with the early document and folder. I'm waiting to hear from Gordon on it... but I think I did very well on that one, both the document when I got that as well as the medal. And getting it cased with ribbon bar blows me away! I'd have been thrilled to just find the medal itself so that was definitely a great bonus.

And I agree with you re: Gordon's grouping. I've not seen that many DDR groups to begin with but never one with that many photographs. Outstanding! :jumping::jumping:

Thanks again my friend! :beer:

Dan, Paul,

Thanks for the comments on the grouping. Small but interesting. I have to thank my comments in Germany for some of the things like that in my collection. Over the years I've added a number of groupings which unfortunately I can not post because they re all in storage.

Congrats on getting the medal Dan. Nice to have a medal and an Urkunde to go together. Looks as though it has been around a bit though. Don't be surprised if it is a little less appealing when you receive it than in the photo. Pictures always make an item look to be in better condition than they really are. I'm not trying to throw cold water on your enthusiasm, just trying to be realistic. You probably already know this but I'll say it again anyway. Don't try and clean the medal, the ribbon or the case. They look the way they because of age and each piece has its own characteristics that make it unique. When I receice something in the mail and it look worse than what I expected I often feel disappointed by this feeling soon passes and I begin to appreciate the piece for what it is. There was only one instance where I was disappointed enough to email the vendor and express my dissatisfaction and that was on a WWII tunic belonging to an Italian General of the University Troops that really was in much worse condition than expected. Especially for the price I padi. But even here, in retrospect, I like this tunic becuase of just what it is. Besides, I have never seen another at any price!

Regards,

Gordon

Dan, Paul,

Thanks for the comments on the grouping. Small but interesting. I have to thank my comments in Germany for some of the things like that in my collection. Over the years I've added a number of groupings which unfortunately I can not post because they re all in storage.

Congrats on getting the medal Dan. Nice to have a medal and an Urkunde to go together. Looks as though it has been around a bit though. Don't be surprised if it is a little less appealing when you receive it than in the photo. Pictures always make an item look to be in better condition than they really are. I'm not trying to throw cold water on your enthusiasm, just trying to be realistic. You probably already know this but I'll say it again anyway. Don't try and clean the medal, the ribbon or the case. They look the way they because of age and each piece has its own characteristics that make it unique. When I receice something in the mail and it look worse than what I expected I often feel disappointed by this feeling soon passes and I begin to appreciate the piece for what it is. There was only one instance where I was disappointed enough to email the vendor and express my dissatisfaction and that was on a WWII tunic belonging to an Italian General of the University Troops that really was in much worse condition than expected. Especially for the price I padi. But even here, in retrospect, I like this tunic becuase of just what it is. Besides, I have never seen another at any price!

Regards,

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Many thanks! :D And I agree... especially re the case. Definitely some scuffing and such. I'm hoping it's not worse overall but we'll see. But the way I'm looking at it, if another pops up down the road I can always get another. But as this is the only one I've seen of this exact type, and definitely the only one cased, I feel I'm very fortunate to have found it and gotten it on all counts. Keeping my fingers crossed re condition but I know I'll love it no matter what.

The urkunde is eagerly awaiting it's "reunion" and the little guy seems very happy at the moment. :P

Can't wait till it arrives. It's coming from California so normally it would be quick but this seller doesn't take Paypal so there's the additional time of paying by sending a Postal Money Order. Arrrrrgh! But hopefully it'll still work out fairly fast. Will do additional scans/pics when it arrives.

Thanks again, :beer:

Hello Dan ,

Just found a little more info about the police diamonds we have :

White edge and green background : Artur Becker Offizierschule

Green edge and grey background : Zivile Hochschulen

Green edge and white background : Karl Liebnecht Offiziershochschule

:cheers:

Hello Dan ,

Just found a little more info about the police diamonds we have :

White edge and green background : Artur Becker Offizierschule

Green edge and grey background : Zivile Hochschulen

Green edge and white background : Karl Liebnecht Offiziershochschule

:cheers:

Hi Grant,

Super! Many thanks my friend! :beer: Oh... a certain someone should be back home on Saturday so hoping ya'll get together shortly after that. :jumping::jumping: Can't wait to hear what ya'll think of all the goodies. :D

Thanks again! :beer:

Hi Grant,

Super! Many thanks my friend! :beer: Oh... a certain someone should be back home on Saturday so hoping ya'll get together shortly after that. :jumping::jumping: Can't wait to hear what ya'll think of all the goodies. :D

Thanks again! :beer:

Is that certain somebody me :rolleyes:

I love that numbered medal never seen a numbered DDR medal before :jumping:

Order of Victory

Is that certain somebody me :rolleyes:

I love that numbered medal never seen a numbered DDR medal before :jumping:

Order of Victory

Hi Vic,

Yup... you guessed it my friend! :cheers: Missed ya somethin' awful while you were away but very glad to have you back again! :jumping::jumping: Oh, I sent you an email just a few minutes ago... re: what I wrote about I'm "working" on getting in touch with the member I mentioned to see what I can work out on that badge. Keep your fingers tightly crossed! :P

On the numbered DDR medals they are great! Gordons is super! There were several that were numbered including those Verdienst medals I love so much... but only the early ones. And of course some of those are also marked for silver content as well. Very nice pieces and I just pray I'm able to find some before all is said and done. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Well, I "finally" :rolleyes: received the medal to go with my early Urkunde. Took over two weeks via parcel post to get from L.A. California to me here in Eastern North Dakota! :speechless1: The U.S. Snail strikes again! :speechless:

I'd actually emailed with the seller several times and arranged for it to be sent Priority Mail with insurance and delivery confirmation/tracking. It was mentioned in several E's. However, the only time I neglected to mention it was on the card I sent with the Postal Money Order (God save me from folks who don't take Paypal! :rolleyes: ) listing what he was to include in the shipment as well as both our addresses in case anything happened to the package label and it needed to be opened they could get it back on it's way to me.

Well, what does he go by... not the emails, not the fact that there's more money in the PMO than he asked for in the invoice... doesn't write an ask me about that... no, he just assumes it's to go regular mail. :speechless: Arrrrrrgh!

Oh well, I'm just soooooo happy I got it and that I don't have to worry about it being lost in postal limbo anymore.

Anyhow, here are some additional views. The box has seen some better times but it's solid, has a nice inset base, good construction and it's only major problem in my eyes is that the little brass button that holds it closed is missing. The push button is there as is the spring mechanism... it's just the little catch that's gone.

A few things to note on this piece. One, both the medal and ribbon have the early type clasp which is proper for one of this time period. The ribbon is cloth but has a plastic cover over it. And the medal itself is a bit larger than it's later cousins.

So now it's home with it's document and it seems very happy and contented after it's long journey through the postal system. :Cat-Scratch:

Edited by Hauptman

Very nice early medal Dan :cheers:

Many thanks my friend! :jumping::jumping: Definitely not mint condition but it's been there and done that for sure! One of those things that "if only they could talk, the tales they could tell." :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Here's my latest... though not an award it goes with my police collection, and especially with my armband as pictured in my first post of this thread.

It's an ID booklet for a Volunteer Helper of the Peoples Police. Those are the sellers pics... hope to have it in a few days and will scan and post better pics as soon as it comes in. :D