News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The GST Land Peaked Cap

This post concernes a GST Land peaked cap. This is an item I picked up on a WAF DDR Forum ?meeting? in Berlin in 2006. Before I start on the cap, lets have a brief bit of history on the GST.

The Geselschaft f?r Sport und Tecknik (GST) came into being in 1952 and its main task was to ?promote the general military readiness and fitness and to prepare all youth adequately before they enter military service and to provide special advanced training for the military service?.

The base for the GST had been formed previously in the Frei Deutsche Jugend (FDJ) and developed in the groups for military sports in the ?Community of Sports Interest? whose training facilities and technical equipment led into the GST. With the forming of the GST numerous functionaries, both men and women, were transferred from the FDJ to the GST. The GST structure was a copy of the Russian ?DOSAAF? with whom they formed a ?brotherhood association?. Initially, the GST came under the Ministry of the Interior. Besides their own uniform, protective head covering of the VP/KVP was initially used and later that of the NVA.

In 1955 the Ministry for National Defence became responsible for the GST. As of 1956 the GST is headed by a Generalmajor. From the then on the senior members of the GST were drawn from the ranks of NVA Reserve force. Both NCOs and officers. Additional training in field craft, weapons training, topography, ABC protection, medical service etc. was provided.

By 1963 the training provided by the GST made it possible for the DDR to reduce the length of its compulsory military service to 18 months. This saves six months of service time and allows the individual to be more readily re-assimilated into civilian life. The GST started 1963 with a membership of 450,000.

In 1968 the training of 16-18 years olds started. This allowed new forms of training in such military disciplines as; military driving, pilots, parachutists, radio/teleprinter operators, divers and other special disciplines of the People?s Navy. A new training uniform of grey fabric is introduced. The red rank stripes, introduced for instructors in 1961, was moved form the arms to the shoulder straps. These badges of rank remained the same as when they were first introduced IE single stripe for Group Leaders, two stripes for Platoon Commanders and three stripes for leaders of 100 (Hunderschaftfuehrer).

In 1971 a new uniform was issued to full time functionaries in the ?Air? and ?Land? . It was in the style of the NVA but in a bluish grey. The GST Sea Service retained their traditional uniforms of the People?s Navy.

In the spring of 1990 the GST is separated from the NVA and ?dissolved? so it can be transformed into a ?Federation of Technical Sports Federations?. By the end of the year this federation is also dissolved.

The peaked cap worn by GST functionaries of the Land Service corresponds to the NVA cap but is in the same bluish grey colour as the uniform. It has one red stripe around the crown and another around the top of the cap band. All ranks wore, centred in the cap band, a 60 x 40 mm large emblem made of aluminum featuring the GST Kokarde in an oak leaf ring that corresponds to that of the NCO ranks of the LaSK of the NVA. Cap cords and split pin buttons are identical to those of officers in the NVA. Functionaries of the GST who were employed in the ?GST Air? wore the Luftstreitkr?fte cap badge with the GST Kokarde in the centre and the propeller within a ring on the upper part of the cap centred below the crown. The Sea Service continued to wear caps of the design of the People?s Navy.

A front view of the cap.

Edited by Gordon Craig

Hi Gordon,

Wow... you do find the neatest stuff! :speechless1: I've NEVER seen one of these. Plenty of the side (Garrison) caps but no peaked caps at all. Fabulous piece!!!! What does the full uniform look like that goes with this?

Thanks so much for sharing this. :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Dan,

The blue uniform worn with this cap is the same cut as the NVA uniforms but the same colour as the cap. They are also not too common. I wanted to post a picture of one in wear but I don't have a copy on my hard drive only on a floppy and my floppy drive died last week. I'll try and find another picture to post by the weekend.

The GST Air caps are really hard to find. There is a specific cap for women in the GST who were full time GST funcrionaries and packed parachutes. Obviously a small group. It is the standard NVA woman's winter cap but in the GST blue with the GST Air insignia on the front. I bought one about a year and a half ago and when it arrived it was a fake. Very disappointing.

Regards,

Gordon

Dan,

Here is a picture of a GST functionary in his full blue uniform duringa GST award ceremony. Note the red tie worn by the full time GST functionaries. Also, you can just see the slip on rank tabs (tabs isn't exactly the correct word but I can not think of the right one at this instant) on his shoulder tabs.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig