News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Australian Mounted policewomen

• 1 year later...
    Guest Rick Research

What's with the medal on the wrong side?

(Lances are nice, but nothing beats the curb-to-curb sweep of Cossack sabers for clearin' a crowd.... :rolleyes: )

Rick,

I am not 100% certain, but the medal worn on the right hand side looks very much like a New South Wales Police medal. In which case it is being worn on the correct (right) side. Only Federal Government Bravery and Service Medals (including foreign bravery and service medals) are worn on the left hand side with said state awards (Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland etc) being worn on the right hand side. Those with more knowledge will undoutedly add more information.

Regards,

Ian

Rick,

I am not 100% certain, but the medal worn on the right hand side looks very much like a New South Wales Police medal. In which case it is being worn on the correct (right) side. Only Federal Government Bravery and Service Medals (including foreign bravery and service medals) are worn on the left hand side with said state awards (Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland etc) being worn on the right hand side. Those with more knowledge will undoutedly add more information.

Regards,

Ian

Nope, thats correct, state awards are worn on the right breast. The medal is the NSW Police Medal.

Regards,

Johnsy

Guest Rick Research

Oh God, what a horror! I got better made things out of cereal boxes as a child. Design committees!!! :violent:

Is that for long service, then?

I had thought the only medals worn on the right were the blue-ribboned Royal Lifesaving ones. :cheers:

You wear a kilt to any party or nightclub and almost guaranteed you'll get asked by a dozen women (and a couple of starry eyed men :rolleyes: ) what's worn under it... then it's down to your gift of the gab.

When was the last time you got asked what you wear under your trousers? See we ain't as daft as we look :cheers:

C

• 5 months later...

Rather than start a new thread on, ahem, mounted women, I thought that I would piggy back on Bob's thread. :rolleyes:

Anyway, this is a shot of a pair of NSW policewomen on Australia Day.

Johnsy

Johnsy,

Different strokes for different folkes. The NSW Police Medal is awarded for Diligent and Ethical Service in the NSW Police Force. The medal design incorporates the nemesis logo, which is the symbol of the NSW Police, namely an Australian wedge tail eagle carrying a scroll of Nemesis. Nemesis is the goddess of retribution. Above the eagle is the badge of the State of New South Wales. It is essentially a long service award with the medal being awarded for ten years ethical and dilligent service, and clasps awarded every five years thereafter. Those who receive view it favourably. Yes it is a right sided decoration.

Johnsy,

Different strokes for different folkes. The NSW Police Medal is awarded for Diligent and Ethical Service in the NSW Police Force. The medal design incorporates the nemesis logo, which is the symbol of the NSW Police, namely an Australian wedge tail eagle carrying a scroll of Nemesis. Nemesis is the goddess of retribution. Above the eagle is the badge of the State of New South Wales. It is essentially a long service award with the medal being awarded for ten years ethical and dilligent service, and clasps awarded every five years thereafter. Those who receive view it favourably. Yes it is a right sided decoration.

How many of those right side medals & enamelled rbbon bars have you got now?

• 1 month later...
    • 12 years later...

All Australian States issue medals to their police, at least for long service but also for a range of other issues such bravery, meritorious service etc etc. As far as I am aware, only Western Australia sought and received permission at the national level, to wear their state-issued medals on the left breast after the medals of the national Australian Honours & Awards System and before foreign awards unless otherwise specified.